Saturday, April 14, 2012

Superman's Got Nuttin' On You!


I think about death often. This might be a surprise to many as I typically seem upbeat and the thought of death seems so...down. I believe I have a healthy understanding of death and my personal religious beliefs bolster me. Nonetheless, it is always difficult when dealing with the death of a loved one or one that has touched your life. Such is the case today for me with the passing of a dear friend, Tim Rosenbloom.

I have had a few lives lost that have touched me. I know as I grow older that the number will inevitably increase and of course that saddens me. My greatest mentor, my Grandfather, William James Bliss, died when I was 14. I still ponder on his life and death...at least that which I can remember. Even today, I try to live in a manner that would please him. My Grandmother, Velma Brewer, who always showed me unconditional love. Jim Hooper, or Brother Hooper as I called him, had a profound effect on my life by reassuring me of my worth at a time when others tried desperately to hack at it. Ryan Cox, who died while riding his dirt bike, taught me that life can be snatched from us at any moment and therefore it is wise to live each day as if it were our last. Erik Rudy, who died after a relapse of leukemia, taught me that we must not procrastinate the day of repentance and must always be prepared to meet our maker. I have learned great lessons from these lives and deaths and more. Tim's life and death was no exception; he was an amazing teacher to me.

Tim. I don't know how close I can say I was to Tim. We were friends, this much I know for sure. If I saw him, I am certain he would embrace me with a smile on his face. Still, I don't know if that would be because we were such great friends or more because of the type of person he is. We became friends in high school at Don Antonio Lugo HS, but we didn't hang out much together. I remember he "treated" me to McDonald's a time or two when he manned the drive through. We had a great time in Hawaii after graduating. I don't think I have seen him since, but we have kept in touch. For that I will be ever grateful. I have enjoyed watching him online from afar and have always been impressed with his understanding or approach to life and trials.

Tim has struggled with cancer the last four or five years and from what I have been told, the word "struggle" is an understatement. Tim has been very open regarding his fight with cancer and has addressed the issue head on. For this reason (and the obvious effects of chemo and radiation) you would know he had cancer, but otherwise, I don't know if you would. I have been so impressed with his attitude through it all. I am not naive. I know he had rough days as did and still does his family (prayers to them), but overall, he was happy and understood what so many of us are trying to grasp or don't even have a clue about. Attitude is everything. There are things that are outside our control and life sometimes sucks! Okay. When those things occur we still have a choice in how we respond and act. Tim got this. He lived it. While cancer may have taken his life, he did not let cancer win. He kicked Cancer's Ass!

Tim knew that mental and emotional health are so much more important than physical health...especially when we have no control over that physical health. Tim was going to be ill whether he lived his life miserably or stoked! He controlled that which could be controlled and he chose to be totally stoked and for that example, I will always be eternally grateful. That is the way he was throughout life. Body lacking, he was Superman! And as a cousin of Tim put it, "George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Brandon Rough may have acted the part of Superman, but none of them can fill your cape." Tim, you will be missed, but your actions and attitudes through this trial and throughout life will always be remembered. Thank you.


1 comment:

Paul H said...

Marque, Thanks for writing this. I agree and appreciate Tim's example for how to live life. Cheers, Paul