Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Conversations ~ Hot Cocoa

The following conversation took place the night before Christmas Decorating:

Daddy:  "Lou, guess what?!"
The Lou:  "What?!"
Daddy:  "Tomorrow we are going to put up and decorate the Christmas Tree!"
The Lou:  *CHEERS LOUDLY*  "Daddy, that means we get to have Hot Cocoa!"
Daddy:  "Oh yeah?!"
The Lou:  "Yeah!  Christmas means Hot Cocoa!"
Daddy: "Sweet!"

The subsequent conversation took place the following night as we were to decorate:

Daddy:  "Okay, let's decorate the tree."
The Lou:  *holding her arms out in a stopping motion*  "Wait!  We have to have Hot Cocoa!"
The Lou:  *does a little song and dance dedicated to the Hot Cocoa gods*
Daddy:  "You really like Hot Cocoa, don't you?"
The Lou:  *looking and speaking to me as if I am crazy*  "YES!  Have you ever had it?!  It tastes just like chocolate!"
Daddy:  "Well, alright!  Mommy is making some now."
The Lou:  *sipping her Hot Cocoa*  "Daddy, do you like it?"
Daddy:  "Yes.  It is delicious."
The Lou:  "I TOLD YOU!  It tastes just like chocolate!"
The Lou:  "My favorite part is the smishsmellows!"

This is one of those conversations that words cannot describe.  Even if dictated exactly as the conversation took place, you could never capture the excitement and personality of it.  It was a profound lesson to me, and not a solitary lesson but rather one of many conversations that teach me to be grateful for all I have; To appreciate the simple things with such excitement and passion.  If we express such love and gratitude for the simple things we already have, how much happier I suppose we will be during the holidays and throughout life.

From the mouth of babes...from the mouth of babes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet. She has so much excitement and passion about everything. I think she gets that example.from her parents. Love GMA

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read this little snipett of your life. Even tho I was reading it, it all seemed to be said in Lou and Q's voices, but I didn't realize it until you said "you could never capture the excitement and personality of it." and I am thinking, 'Well, yah, you could"

Love ya Auntie Lyn