Recently I had a conversation with a friend of mine regarding religion. This friend happens to be atheist. I have a few friends who are atheist. I try not to label them as such, or at least try not to make it their identity. Oh, that's my friend "Joe the Athiest". As if he is some historic figure where his surname is tossed aside for an adjective in it's place, like Alexander the Great or Ivan the Terrible or Mathias the Mediocre (an actual distant relative of mine). Nonetheless, it is an important part of his makeup in his life and a part of who he is to me.
Fortunately, this friend is not of the obnoxious atheist sort. He doesn't make it his mission in life to prove the religious to be fools and he isn't looking to convert anybody to his way of science over religion. He is a good guy and tends to follow the "live and let live" mantra and believes that different things make different people tick. He accepts people for who they are and is one of the least judgmental people I know. Many of my religious friends can learn a thing or two from his character.
Nonetheless, sometimes we end up discussing religion as he understands and accepts that I am a religious person. Truthfully, I try to be more of a spiritual person than a religious one. Some may be baffled and confused at the proposal that there is a difference, but I believe there is. In life I tend to prefer the spiritual to the religious. I have met many a soul that has little spirituality about them, but claim to be very religious. I am sure everybody has met someone like that. These days there are many who profess to be a follower of this savior or this prophet or this god, but show little to no interest in living spiritually, but display a uber zealous intention to live religiously. That is an entirely different topic altogether.
As most know, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. As many do not understand, I am a Christian. I strive to follow Christ's principles as He explains them. I often pray to His Father (and mine) through Him. I seek God's guidance in all I do and look to my Elder Brother, Jesus, for a perfect example. I believe in Christ and that He has saved me from myself and it is my intention to live with Him again in His Father's kingdom. I am not perfect, but I work to live my life in such a manner that those who do not know Christ, will want to know him because of me. People who do know me, identify me with my membership in the Mormon church. Hopefully they first identify me as someone who believes in and wants to be like Jesus. Hopefully they consider me first to be a spiritual person and thirdly to be a Mormon.
That being said, I recognize that so much death and damage has been laid upon this Earth and much of it was laid in the name of religion. I think it is for that reason, among a few others, that I most find myself worshipping among the Latter-Day Saints. They, speaking of doctrine, believe in allowing others to worship how, where or what they may. I like that. I believe what I believe and part of that belief is the understanding that we have the agency and ability to worship how our conscience dictates. Please note that this does not always ring true in the actions of all who profess to believe this. None of us are perfect. Fortunately, this is why a loving Heavenly Father sent His Son to provide us a way to overcome our imperfections and mistakes and return to Him.
Back to my conversation with my atheist friend. Sorry to label you as such...it is easier and more respectful of your privacy than naming your name. Our conversation occurred shortly after the passing of my Father. Out of genuine concern, he inquired how I was doing. In my response, I mentioned that I found comfort in my knowledge, faith and beliefs surrounding this life, the next and the purpose of it all. I explained that my grief was temporary as is this life and that I believed I would be reunited with my Dear Old Dad again someday. This then led to the discussion of religion and his opposing views that there is no God and that he lacks faith entirely in religion. I admitted that I have serious beefs with religion in general and, were I ever to leave the Mormon church (which I don't anticipate doing) that I would likely remain just as spiritual as I am today or more, but would abandon organized religion altogether. I then emphasized that I truly believe what I believe and place my faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ and hope to have that faith made whole as my beliefs would be confirmed in the hereafter.
My friend then posed the question, "What if you're wrong?"
What if I'm wrong?
"Meaning what?" I asked. Meaning if I were to live my life with my current beliefs with total faith that when I die, I shall meet my maker and receive a perfect knowledge of His existence and love for me...only to learn upon death that I was wrong? That there is no supreme being? That there is no "my maker" or Savior who died for me? What then? What if I was wrong? I confirmed that this is what he was asking me. I restated his question with more clarity. "What if I am wrong? What if I die and find out there is no God? There is no saving grace of a loving Savior? Would I feel silly to know I have lived my entire life by a certain set of rules only to learn it was for naught?"
My initial thought was to answer this way...."That is the dumbest question I have ever heard in my entire life!" Of course, if I was wrong, and he in his scientific approach were correct, then I would have no thought or opportunity to evaluate my life and beliefs and thus no regret." Of course, out of respect for him, I answered differently.
I answered him in the same manner I have answered other Christians who pose the same question about my choice in Christianity. My choice makes me happy. I am aware that I do not know everything nor do I have the answers to all things. I am aware that there is a possibility that I am wrong. I don't believe I am. Some things I have a very strong testimony of. Some things make complete and perfect sense to me. Some things I am left with the only option of exercising faith with hopes that some day I will understand and believe. I have made a conscience decision to exercise faith in my religion. Along with that faith comes rules, guidelines or otherwise that compel me to do certain things and make certain sacrifices, but I have made that choice. Ultimately I am happier on this Earth and in this life due to those choices and sacrifices.
Would I like my Sundays back? Duh! Of course I would. I don't like sitting in meetings any more than anybody else, but the sacrifices, rules and such are part of the entire package. My ability to control my life (not entirely easy I confess) and to give a part of this life back to my belief and in essence back to The Lord, make me happy. In fact, I can't fathom my life not being just what it is and without my faith, religion and beliefs. I CHOOSE to believe because of several reasons. I choose to live my religion because I believe. At the end of the day, if I am wrong, it makes no difference at that time. I would simply be worm food and there is nothing more. But, if I am wrong, I will have lived a fuller and more happier life (for me) as a result.
I may end up being wrong in my faith, but I will have spent this meaningless time striving to be a better man as a result. I will have touched many lives in my sacrifice and thus made their meaningless time here that more precious. I will have lived a happier life in the meantime and in that thought I find comfort that my decision to believe is the wise bet. I say that, keeping in mind that I am not stating that one without faith cannot find happiness or cannot live a life of charity and love. But for me, it sure helps to have found the gospel of Jesus Christ and strived to live (even compelled) by it's principles.
To my friends of other faiths or other Christian religions I share a similar thought. If I am wrong, I struggle to believe the God I have studied or any other loving god, would fault me or punish me for having lived a life of love and sacrifice for my family and fellow man erroneously in the faith not in line with what would prove to be "the correct religion". I also don't believe that at the end of the day, my loving God, the God I believe in, would punish good people who have lived good lives simply based on the fact that they were not Mormon.
Fortunately, the conversation I had was friendly and in genuine interest of the other. I doubt the minds and thoughts of either of us were changed in any way. I know mine wasn't. I will continue to live the life I live. Nay, I will continue to live a life tomorrow that is better than that which I lived yesterday. I will continue to seek the grace of Christ and the repentance of my fellow men as I err. I will likely continue to fall short and will thus continue to take advantage of the atonement of He who suffered for me in The Garden of Gethsemane. I will continue to (try to be) a light unto the world. I will continue to believe and have faith.
And...if I am wrong, I will never be the wiser. And I am okay with that.


No comments:
Post a Comment