In twelve days it will be the 6 month anniversary of my Father's passing. Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been that long and other times it seems like an eternity ago.
If you have ever lost a loved one like I did in my Dad, you can probably relate to the oddness of the timing when my Dad pops into my mind. The simplest and most random things can trigger a memory or thought. Just yesterday this happened to me. It sent me into a day dream for a short period until the car behind me at the now green light honked to redirect my thoughts. I recalled for some reason the etched glass my Dad did on a glass table top that he had made for the wedding cake of our California reception. Up until this time, I don't recall ever spending much energy thinking on that glass. But, for whatever reason, yesterday I did and I realized once again...I miss him. I've missed him for a while now; perhaps even before he passed, but yesterday was one of those moments that I really reflected on it. I miss him. I wish I had shown more interest in the etched glass when I had the time.
Oddly enough, I had a dream last night. It was a good dream. It was a sad dream. In this dream my Dad and brothers and I were packing up all of Dad's things. I don't remember the date, but I know we were all aware that Dad would soon be gone. We had a fun time as we worked which is not unusual. We laughed and teased and gave each other a hard time. There was a fun camaraderie in our work.
As we packed the back of the car, a lady driving by stopped to observe us. She had a big smile on her face and she motioned me over. We discussed that we were helping my Dad move out. She expressed her appreciation for our laughter and family love for each other. She then said, referring to the weather which was turning from sunny to cloudy and possibly rain, "Take advantage of it. You never know how many days like this you will have." Knowing that my Dad would soon be gone and no longer with us, I smiled back at her and thought. "You have no idea to what degree that is true."
That was the end of the dream. I don't know if it had any meaning or not. I once heard that dreams are given to us from God for one of two reasons: 1) to teach us something or 2) for our enjoyment. I don't know if there is a lesson there for me to learn or not. Certainly there is a nice reminder to enjoy life and those around us while we can, for we never know when it will end. I do know it was a happy and pleasant dream that I truly enjoyed.
I miss you, Pops.

1 comment:
I have had several dreams of people who have passed on within a short time after they had passed. I will say with in a 6 month window. To me it has always been a gift. I kind of feel that is was a visit for the person who passed on as a way of seeing someone they loved and cared about and another chance to say good bye. What better way for your dad to spend his visit than with his sons whom he loved so much.
Post a Comment