Wednesday, August 19, 2015

She's 29...AGAIN!!!! Happy Birthday, Sarah Kathleen!!!!!

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, Dear Sarah!!!!
Happy Birthday to you!
 
PART I
 
Presents, Steak, S'mores and Fireworks
 

Sarah turned 39...er...35...er...I mean, 29 this year!  If you know Sarah, you know how much she likes to plan birthday parties.  Then, this should give you some insight as to how she felt about her birthday this year...she didn't want a party.  She was a bit bummed I think about getting older this year.  Most stress out on years ending in "5"s or "0"s, like 35, 40 or 45.  Not my girl.  She stresses out about turning 39.  Last time she was uneasy about her birthday was when she turned 28.  Go figure.
 
 
So, this year, we took it easy.  Just her and me and our princess and punk.  We had a nice steak dinner and invited the neighbors over.  Then we had s'mores instead of cake and watched the fireworks show from our backyard as people all over Utah celebrated Sarah's birthday.
 
 
 
 
 
Of course gifts are never required, but often enjoyed on your birthday.  This year, the Ashbys (Joe, Brenda and Candace) got her a beautiful necklace and a pair of matching earrings.  Leah wanted to get her Mommy a blanket, but since it was in the middle of scorching Summer we settled on a huge and thick beach towel.  I got her tickets to see Weird Al Yankovic in August.  I'm sure many who know my love of music are shaking their heads right now.  Let me tell you this...Sarah dragged my unwilling butt to a Weird Al concert years ago and it still remains to this day one of the top 5 concerts I have ever seen...and I've seen hundreds!  I'm looking forward to the concert as much as she is.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For her birthday dinner Sarah asked for Steak and potatoes.  So, I made salt and pepper ribeye steaks, beef ribs, grilled onions and Italian grilled Yukon gold taters.  The Ashbys brought some fruit to lighten things up.  It was a good meal and a great night for outdoor grilling in Utah.  One of Sarah's favorite things is S'mores.  She loves them!  So, instead of cake we lit a fire in the back yard, made and ate s'mores.  Then we were entertained by Leah's dancing and the kids wrestled with Uncle Joe.  We enjoyed the hour and a half long fireworks show from our panoramic view of our backyard and then talked and listened to music until late.  It was a good day.  I know it wasn't a big Broohaha for her birthday like she is used to, but it is what she asked for and I hope she knows she is loved. 
 
PART II
 
Limos and Cheesecake!!!
 
 
You didn't think I was really gonna' let her get away with a low key dinner and some s'mores as her birthday celebration, did you?!  Shame on you!  You should know better!




 
 
 
The day after Sarah's birthday, we picked up her family (Molly, Duane, Josh, Jacob and Erin) along with my Mom and Grandma in a limousine and took everybody to the Cheesecake Factory.  Duane and I drove up front while everybody else had a fun time in the back.  We put a sign on the back that announced it was Sarah's birthday and people honked at us all along the way.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our longtime friends, Scott and Liz joined us at The Cheesecake Factory for some good grub.  I have always said that this restaurant was the one restaurant that you can try something new every time and not regret it.  Well, I was wrong.  I tried something new and it was no Bueno!  That being said, it was a dish that was completely new to me, not just new to me at The Cheesecake Factory.  Everybody enjoyed their good food and dessert.  We sat outside which was not too bad.  It was a hot day, but we sat under the umbrella's on the side of the restaurant that was mostly sheltered by the sun.  It's a good thing it was comfortable because the wait otherwise would have been 2 1/2 hours and we had a pregnant lady and 90 year old lady in our party!  We enjoyed everybody's company and conversation.
 
 
 
 
So when we took a selfie of the two of us, I mentioned to Sarah that she needs to take it from a higher angle so as to make me not look as fat as I really am.  I concluded the only angle that didn't show how fat I was, was the angle from directly overhead.  Unfortunately, that angle shows how bald I am!  So, I made her promise me that the only pictures of me moving forward would be of my feet.
 
 
Happy Birthday, Sarah!  I love you and hope you know that by these small and simple gestures. May I be around to celebrate another 39...er...35...er...I mean 29!
 
The best part of renting the limo for the weekend was sharing in the love.  On Saturday morning I went on my bro lunch with 6 of my friends in the neighborhood and took them in the limo to eat at Chubby's.  It made it a bit more fun though it is always fun.  On Sunday after church I took my primary kids (10-11 year olds) home in the limo.  They absolutely went bonkers over it and still talk about it today.  Then, the nephews came over for a ride and dance party in it.  They had a fun time too. 




1 comment:

Leslie said...

Fun. Thanks for having a birthday celebration and for inviting us.