Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Wake Me Up When September Ends

As Billy Joe Armstrong said,
"Summer has come and passed.
The innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends.
Like my Fathers come to pass,
Seven years has gone so fast.
Wake me up when September ends."
This post is meant to cover the random photos and adventures of the family in the month of September.  I always think of the Green Day song, "Wake Me Up When September Ends" at the end of September.  As I read the lyrics for this post, I was taken aback by the second chorus regarding how fast 7 years has come and gone.  Leah turns 7 the month after September ends and that makes me so sad and happy.  I wish I could freeze time.  Leah has been so fun in September as she went back to school and started soccer and cheerleading.  She is so smart and growing up so fast.  She has impressed me in so many ways.  I love watching her develop and progress, but in some ways, I wish September would never have ended and that she could stay my little girl forever.  I know 7 years old is not old, but it is one year older and that's how these things go.  Every year, older.  Sigh. 
Anyway, back to the rest of the month.  I love this blog.  What a fun way to save memories for my own enjoyment.  It is such a great reminder as to just how truly blessed I am.  Even if nobody else reads it or even if others find themselves annoyed at the oversharing of my life, it's worthwhile to me.
Enjoy September.  I know we did!
GO CAVEMEN!!!!  AF Cheerleading Rocks!!!!
Leah loves her cheer squad and has learned so much.


Leah's big high school football game halftime performance fell on a week that I was out of town.  Sarah sent me this picture beforehand so I could enjoy the night vicariously. 

Stretching for the big halftime show

Leah performed at the AFHS halftime show during breast cancer awareness month.  They performed to the song, "Girls Just Wanna' Have Fun"
Leah cheers every Saturday for the 4th Grade Caveman football team. 
I think Leah's favorite part is the team running through the signs they make.
There's only one thing better than Summer football to this guy...Fall football.
Dax loves going to Leah's football games.  Not because of the football or because Leah's cheerleading, but because he can play with his cars in the track dirt. 
I enjoy going to her games to watch her cheer and to watch the football game in between.
Marley likes to go so she can eat grass.
Sarah likes to go to Leah's games so that she can be Leah's cheerleader and soak in some sun in the process.
We found out why Dax is pigeon toed.  Doc says it isn't his feet, it's his hips.  He says they are out of whack because of the way he sits.  He now has orthodics and we aren't allowed to let him sit like this anymore. 
Back to September...

Leah practicing her gymnastics/tumbling

 Leah trying to teach a less flexible Dax how to do some of her tricks.

The kids love hanging with their aunt Candace.  They also love their Great Aunt Brenda and Great Uncle Joe.
Our Nephew, Jake the Snake, was baptized this month!  We are proud of the decision he made to live his life as Christ lived his life. 
Leah (6) and Jake (8) at Jakey's baptism.  He set a great example for Leah by deciding to be baptized.  It sparked several conversations with Leah and I regarding why we should be baptized and how we can follow Jesus.
Dax sporting Grandma's reading glasses.

Grandma Tine came to visit from Arizona! 
We even got away for a movie!
Dax needs to see a dentist.
I came out of the shower one day and was greeted by a T-Rex with a soup ladle threatening me!  Dax always is good for a laugh.  I love that kid. 
Every day I go to work in my home office, Marley goes with me and sleeps under my desk.  When she needs to use the restroom, she pokes her head up from under the desk and between my legs and stares at me.  She's quickly become a big part of our family.
Go Red Tornados FC!!!!

  
 
Leah's team hasn't won a game yet, but they are getting better.  They are good sports though and are having a fun time.

While Grandma Tine was here, she got to watch Leah play soccer.  Dax didn't mind cuddling.
Leah is hustling this year, but she doesn't engage on the ball.  The last two games I have incentivized her by giving her $.25 per kick.  She is loving that and trying harder. 

 Daddy Daughter Cookie Soda Paradise Bakery Day Continues!!!!

 The tradition of Leah and I going to Paradise Bakery for cookies (for her) and soda (for me) is now in it's third year.  We both look forward to it every week.  She counts down the days and that makes my soul warm.  I love sitting across the table from her.  I love our conversations.  I love how important it is for her.  I say thank you to strangers every week as they comment on how pretty she is or how great it is to see her in her soccer uni or cheer outfit.  I am proud as strangers who see us there regularly comment and compliment on how heart warming it is to see this tradition that Leah and I have.  I look forward for Dax to outgrow his "I'm a monster and you don't want to take me to a public restaurant" phase so I can start a similar tradition with him. 


Every week she asks the same question and expresses the same gratitude.  "Daddy?  Can I have a chocolate chip cookie and a black diamond cookie?"  "YEAH!!! I get two cookies!  Thank you, Daddy!"
PUMPKIN DAY!!!!
Sarah has created her own holiday.  October 1st is Pumpkin Day.  Some years we have to push it back a year due to scheduling conflicts, but it is a real holiday to her and the kids have bought in entirely. 

Leah loves being a big Sister to her little Brother.  I love (for the most part) watching these two together.
A family that buys pumpkins together stays together!  I love that woman next to me more than she loves pumpkin day, and that is A LOT!

September is over.  I'm so blessed and so grateful for those blessings.  September is gone.  Bring on Fall! 

Leah has been a huge blessing to our family and our family would not be complete without her.  Seven years have gone by fast, but I look forward to many more. 

No comments: