Our kids are amazing travelers. Really. They are not without their occasional impatient outburst or inconvenient and poorly timed bathroom breaks, but all in all, they travel very well and as a result, they are very well traveled. When we take long drives, we try to break them up to make the drive easier for them and thus easier for us. On our trip to California this year, we made a stop in Calico.
 |
| Leah likes to pass the time listening to her music, drawing and coloring or playing on the iPad. |
 |
| Dax prefers to watch the Minions movie over and over, with or without sound or to play on the iPad. |
 |
Sarah passes her time in the car by sewing Woody and Jessie costumes for the kids to where
when visiting historical mining ghost towns. Wait...What?! |
Calico is an old Silver mining town from the late 1800's in the high desert of California; just north of Barstow. If you've ever made the trip along the 15 North or South through that area, you would recognize the large white letters on the Calico Hills that read...you guessed it..."CALICO". Calico was named because of the many different colors in the geology of the hills, after the colorful cat, The Calico.
 |
I wasn't kidding. Sarah cut and sewed these outfits by hand while driving to Calico!
Here is Leah as Jessie. Although the peace sign belt buckle is more of a Leah trademark. |
 |
| Dax as Woody All the way down to the "Andy with the backwards "d" on the bottom of his boot. |
When I was a young rebel rouser (of course I never was anything but an angel), I spent many a day and many a night in and on and around the hills of Calico. When I say "in" I mean "in". There are so many mines and caves and tunnels to explore around Calico and really the place is a source of many fond memories of my youth. I was excited to take the kids to the old ghost town and I knew they would love it.

 |
| Sheriff Dax moseying through town. How do you spell mosey anyway? |
 |
| Jessie puttin' out the Cowgirl vibe. |
 |
| The Asian tourists loved Leah and Dax and they stopped them more than once for a photo. |
 |
| He's the rootinest, tootinest, cowboy around! |
If you've never been to Calico, but always wondered if it was worth the stop, do it. It is worth it. There is a lot to see. You can tour an old mine, ride an old narrow gauge mining train, drink some sasparilla in the saloon, pan for gold, have a Western meal or a number of other fun things. In the busy season there are gun fights in the street and dozens of actors in period costumes wondering town. The town also comes alive with live music and it really is a fun day.
 |
| The Calico and Odessa narrow gauge mining train. |
 |
| Leah getting ready for a showdown. |
 |
Being the off season, there was no live music, but that didn't stop Leah and Dax
from hopping up on stage and doing a jig. |
 |
| No loose women?! I ain't goin' in there! ;) |
 |
| Me and my favorite square dancing partner. |
 |
| Leah was so excited to walk out those doors like a "real cowboy". |
 |
Here I am giving a boring historical narrative to two kids who are more interested
in believing this place had something to do with a couple Disney characters. It
didn't stop me from talking. They love me so they listened anyway. |
 |
| Exploring the old glass house. |
 |
| Priority #1 for Dax...make our way to the train. He loves all things train. |
 |
| Yeehaw! Am I the most blessed dude in Calico or what?! |
If you've ever been to Knott's Berry Farm, much of this might look familiar. Mr. Knott bought the entire town of Calico and restored it long before he built Knott's Berry Farm amusement park. This Calico and Odessa RR engine has an exact replica or 2 or 3 at Knott's Berry Farm at the Calico Mine Ride.
 |
| All Aboard! |
 |
| There are homes built into the side of the hills that you can explore too. |
 |
| Exploring the glory hole of the Old Maggie Silver Mine. |
 |
| I ignored many of those signs as a kid when I visited Calico. |
 |
| WE interrupted this poor miner taking care of business. Dax didn't know what to think. |
 |
| Man Eating Chicken inside! |
 |
| They weren't fibbin'! |
The family obliged my urge to read all the signs in the museum. I paid their kindness back by only reading half of them. We also mined for gold. It immediately reminded me of my Pops who always thought there would be gold in every stream he crossed. He brought his pans with him everywhere, but I never saw one flake. It was still fun though and I learned how to pan in the process...or at least I think I did...there was no way to tell if I was doing it right!
So the whole purpose of the Woody costume for Dax is that Sarah is throwing a Woody's Round-Up party for Dax's birthday this year. She thought it would be good to take advantage of the scenery and dress him up as Woody for the invitations. She's one creative Mom. So, here we are with Woody in front of his Sheriff's Office.
 |
| Sheriff Dax runs a strict town. No cussin' or shootin'!? Come on. Give us something! |
 |
| Every time the train blew it's whistle, Dax would do this with his hand and make whistle sounds. |
 |
| BUSTED! Any guesses on what she did? |
 |
| Looks guilty to me. |
 |
| I was innocent, I tell ya'! |
We had a blast in Calico Ghost Town. It's hard to say what our favorite thing was. There's a good chance the kids would say the old timey candy store. The owner was there and was so enamored with the kids that he gave them some free candy (but none to the other kids watching in envy) and asked to take their pictures.
 |
| Leah showing her utter excitement with her prospecting results. |
After a stop at the Calico Cemetery at Boot Hill, we hit the road for Santa Maria. We still had a long drive ahead of us, but the kids were pooped out and would chill for the rest of the long drive. I on the other hand would proceed to drink a dozen Super Big Gulp Dr. Peppers in order to stay awake....we arrived safe and sound at around 10:30pm. Thanks for the decades of memories, Calico. I'm happy I could share you with my cowboy family.
 |
| Make the stop. It's worth it. |
2 comments:
I can't believe how awesome this was to experience through your blog. I had no idea how much fun you all had. This was major. I loved the costumes, scenery and town. I can't believe how many times you have been there and I have never been there once. It must have always been father/son trips or scouting.
Mom, we went out there a time or two with Scouts, but most of the time it was just with some of the guys to go shooting around the area, rabbit hunting or just to explore the caves.
Post a Comment