Monday, August 29, 2016

Letter to a Millenial

I give my nieces, Hailey and Madyson, and their generation a hard time.  Probably more than I should.  I really only do it because I care.  They are amazing young women and amazing young women and young men seem to be a rarity more and more.  It's easier and easier for me to criticize and find fault with their generation.  It seems they don't want to work hard, nor do they know how to.  It seems they lack respect and appreciation for their elders and it seems harder and harder to connect with them (the generation, not my nieces) on a real level.  That being said, I'm pretty sure the generation before mine said the same thing about my generation and I know two generations before mine said similar things about the generation before mine.  It's simply the cycle.  I guess I've officially picked up the baton and become an old man.  :( 
 
Nonetheless, in spite of me being a crotchety old fart, I do have the occasional pearl of wisdom to share.  When my niece graduated from highschool earlier this year, I had the intention to sit down and write out a list of those simple tips of life that you see on a poster in your Mom's office or like the advice given in the song by Baz Luhrman, "Always Wear Sunscreen", seen here.  I thought it would be funny.  Instead, as is typical in my case, I grew too serious and scribbled out an impromptu 7 page, hand-written letter filled with advice that was never solicited.  From me to my beautiful niece and now, for my records....

Hailey Leilani

My #1 Niece,
 
I'm sure you may not read this or if you do, you'll roll your eyes as you do, but nonetheless, I want to pass on a few points of advice that will help you along the way as you navigate the seas of life.  Some of these lessons I've learned the hard way by trial and error, others I learned by watching or listening to others and some are just common sense.  ALL ARE GOOD AND TRUE.
  • Be busy in the pursuit of happiness.  Do something.  Happiness, nor success will chance upon you.  Know what it is and go to it.
  • Be willing to work.  "Success" only comes before "work" in the dictionary.  Work, consistent work, hard work...whatever it may be, welcome it and never, never shy from it or cower to it.  Trospers are hard workers.
  • Spend more time with people than your computer and phone.  Those soft skills are going to quickly be a thing of the past.  Your stock in any organization will soar if you do and you'll be more fulfilled. 
  • Self analyze.  Evaluate your efforts as well as the accompanying success and failures.  Learn what works in every situation and then improve.  Failure is valuable.  Learn to embrace it.  Learn from it.  Be a better you tomorrow than you were today.
  • Think long term.  Don't trade the grander success of tomorrow for the immediate gratification of today.  Life is a marathon, not a sprint.  Have vision.  See what may lay ahead as a result of a decision today THEN decide accordingly.
  • Be not concerned with the thoughts and opinions of others.  As long as your decisions make you happy, your Mother happy, your Creator happy and eventually your spouse happy, that is all that matters.  Ultimately, it really boils down to you and God.
  • Treasure, learn and appreciate .  Visit places.  Get outside.  Learn the cultures of others and to appreciate them for their uniqueness and not for their similarities.
  • Give back.  Realize there is no such thing as a self-made person.  All good things come from God and others.  Learn to give of yourself in time, deed and money.  If you do, I promise you will be cared for always and will never go without.  I would even dare to say your chances of success will increase as a result.
  • Identify mentors.  Find those who are like-minded and have found success in their field (business, health, family, finances, etc) without sacrificing their morals and ethics.  Follow after them.
  • Set goals.  Work towards those goals.  Write them down.  Set deadlines. Make steps and correlate efforts.
  • Always be grateful.  ALWAYS.  You have been given much.  Never lose sight of that.  Find goodness in everything around you, even in your trials.  Count your blessings daily.
  • Take care of your body.  It is a most precious gift.  Don't let your appetites control you.  You dictate to them.  NEVER SMOKE!
  • Be grateful.  It's that important that I mention it twice.
  • Always wear sunscreen.
  • Don't settle.  Be happy always, but never settle.  Always strive to improve your station.  Always work toward the goal of whatever it is that you are passionate about.  Menial jobs or entry level positions are not the end all.  Learn what you can from them while making your station better than it was at receipt, but never settle. Onward and upwards!
  • Take risks now while you're young.  It is harder to change your philosophy or MO as you get older when you have more to risk.  Now is the time to think big and make a big and riskier impact.
  • Control what you can control and forget the rest.  Life isn't what you do with it, but what you do with what is thrust upon you.  Don't waste precious time and energy trying to change things that you ultimately have no control over. 
  • Learn to live within your means.  If you cannot afford it (cash), don't buy it.  Credit cards should only be used in dire emergency.  Happiness may be facilitated by things, but never found from things. 
  • Family above all else.  'Nuff said.
  • Save.  Put away for a rainy day.  You will be amazed at what time and discipline can accomplish.  The amount you can save may vary, but savings aside first.
  • Be honest in all dealings with your fellow man.  No quality is more greatly desired than that of honesty and integrity.
  • Lastly, know you're not alone.  You not only have family you can always rely on, but most importantly, there is a loving Heavenly Father that wants your happiness...probably moreso than even you.  Learn to develop that relationship.
 Each of these points can be expounded upon for hours.  I hope they at least promote some thought and consideration.  If you ever want me to chat with you about any of these things or more, I'm always available and so is your Aunt Sarah.

You are amazing.  You have limitless potential.  Having said that, never let another soul utter those words about you.  The only time people say "you have great potential" is when you're not doing as well as you could be or should be.  Plan for your best, work for your best and ultimately expect nothing but your best.  Potential is for losers. 

We love you and we're excited to see all the places you'll go and all the things you'll accomplish. 

Love,

Uncle Q

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I loved your advice the first time i read it. Even more now. It's good advice for Hailey, any millennial, or anyone. Your mom appreciates the reminder. Love you Hailey, love you Uncle Q.