Thursday, November 10, 2016

Wide Open Ranges and Massive Majestic Mountains


 
The Grand Tetons at Sunset

Wilson Reunion Part 1:
 
This Summer we had a mini reunion for Sarah's side of the family.  For as long as we've been married, there have been discussions surrounding a reunion of sorts, but nothing has ever materialized.  Fortunately, her family is small and tight knit so we keep in touch with most everybody.  One thing that we have done with her Sister's and Brothers' families is to camp annually.  This gives us an opportunity to enjoy each other's company in a relaxing setting for a weekend.  To this point, the last 5 years, we've gone to Yuba Lake for this annual event.  This year, Jake's wife, Erin, suggested we take our tradition to Wyoming.  Sounded like a great idea, so planning began the weekend of our last Yuba Lake trip in August of 2015.  August of this year found all of us, The Wilsons (Jake and Erin), Wilsons (Josh and girlfriend, Marie), Reeds (Molly and Duane), Us and Mom, in Star Valley, Wyoming.  This year Tim and Lisa Cornelius (Sarah's Aunt and Uncle) joined us from Washington.  A good time was sure to be had.  Here is the proof with minimal commentary.

These kids are phenomenal travelers.  It could be in their DNA or perhaps years
of conditioning from the day they were born.  Whichever it was, I am grateful.
Star Valley, WY, is about 3 1/2 hours from our home. 

 
 
A couple days before we left, Leah took a spill on her scooter riding down the hill.  You can see
her battle wounds everywhere.  Her arm, her hand, her eyebrow, her cheek, her chin, her shoulder
and her ego.  She didn't let that stop her from having a good time. 

Once we arrived at the campsite, the kids were anxious to help set up camp. 
Here is Leah trying to jack up the trailer with only one arm, because the other
arm is lame. 
 
Here is Daxilicious helping hook up the water...he ended up making more mud
and getting more dirty than anything else. 

On our way to Grand Teton National Park, we crossed several bridges. 
Every time, Dax would get excited and shout,
"A FRIDGE!  A FRIDGE!"



"Dad!  Look at that!"  It's amazing the things one sees when one does not have
their eyes glued to an I-Pad. 



I honestly have no idea what is going on here.  I like the picture though.  Sarah
may not agree, but I think she's beautiful even when she's being a goof.


Always having a fun time.


The first place we stopped was the visitors center to let the kids stretch their legs, learn about
animals and catch a few pics. 


Sarah has always had a thing for bears' noses.

I hope she never attempts to pet a real bear's nose.  Could spell disaster.

I remember one time we were visiting Aunt Lisa in her home in San Jose that
she had a picture of Sarah's Grandfather, Christian, standing next to or feeding
a bear at a national park.  Maybe that is where Sarah and Dax get their death
wish.  It was a cool photo though. 

Dax enjoyed seeing the different animal tracks and feeling the different fur.


It's always fun to have the cousins with us.  Molly and Duane and Elijah came
with us the last time we visited GTNP.  Elijah was 4 I believe. 

Dax no cooperating for a photo.


Dax was not happy so we were trying to cheer him up.  At least the rest of
us were having fun. 

The cool kids.



Leah acting like a cougar.

Dax acting like Leah acting like a cougar.

A real life cougar.  I have a feeling I might get in trouble for that comment.  It is always fun
having Aunt Lisa and Uncle Tim along with us.  We would love it if they would travel with us
all the time.  Of course, they spoil Leah and Dax with love and attention.  What the heck is
Dax doing in the background?!

One of the many faces of Dax.

A pic of Uncle Tim taking a pic.  Aunt Lisa got a pic of me taking a pic of Uncle
Tim taking a pic.  I'll have to get that from her. 



Leah and Dax had a different cousin with them every leg of the trip.  Here
they are crowding Cole. 


A beautiful view.  The vista is pretty too.  ;)

There were such a beautiful variety of flowers.  I didn't bring my good camera
so I couldn't get many good photos. 


At this particular stop, there were millions of bugs.  I think that is why Leah and Dax were
unable to look at the camera and smile for the picture. 

Grand Tetons with Jackson Lake in the foreground. 


This kid had a rough day.  He was upset that I wouldn't let him
wander off the edge of the cliff.  What a mean Dad I am. 


We stopped to have lunch on the shore of Jackson Lake. 


After lunch, it was time to teach the kids the finer art of rock skipping. 


Dax anxiously watching his rock hit the water and wondering why it wouldn't skip.  It might
be because he picked the biggest and least flattest rocks to throw as can be seen in the photo
below. 






If you've never experienced the Grand Tetons, you need to put it on your
bucket list now.  There are few places on this planet that are as awe inspiring
as the Grand Tetons.  We've always been a huge fan of our National Parks. 
This is our 2nd trip to GTNP and it won't be our last. 
 

I know my pictures don't do this place any justice.  I'm not talented enough to
properly capture the beauty here. 
 
 
The wildlife wasn't as abundant as it was when we were there last time in the
Spring.  The beautiful scenery sure was abundant though. 

 
One thing that is important to me is that my kids learn to appreciate this
beautiful planet we've been given and how we can do our part to care for it. 
Camping is a great way to do that.  It's always a challenge to get them to put
down the electronics and remain entertained, but it's worth the struggle.  I hope
one day they feel the same. 

 
I try to always respect others rights to believe or not to believe in an almighty
and supreme being that is God.  For me, I believe, and I see Him and His love
for us all around us when in nature.  I also love and appreciate the geological,
scientific and natural wonders you find in nature.  In my mind, they and He clearly
work in perfect harmony with him using the laws of science and nature to give us
such a beautiful planet. 


Of course, one fact that will make the oldest of boys giggle is that the name
"Grand Tetons" translates to mean "Big Boobs".  Snicker, snicker.  Teehee. 
I kept asking the boys (Elijah, Cole and Jacob) if they knew what "Grand
Tetons" meant.  They didn't, so throughout the trip I would send them to
their parents to ask.  I don't think they ever got a straight answer. 


We couldn't pass the toy store with the kids with us.  We had to go in.  By
"kids" I mean Uncle Josh!



It was nice having Grandma Tine with us.  She and Dave have joined us a couple times on
these annual camping trips.  Dave couldn't make it up from Arizona this time due to work.


The Wilsons!  Notice Cole off to the left.  Funny kid.  Uncle Jake hadn't joined
us yet.  He had to work and was on his way up while we were in Jackson Hole.

I think Sarah has a bumper sticker on her butt that reads, "Caution.  This chick stops at
all candy stores!"

Like Mother, like daughter, like son...broke Dad.  Dentist bills are not cheap.

Staring contest...GO!
There are some cool stores in Jackson, but it's hard to constantly stop Dax
from touching everything. 



I was going to delete this pic and the one above, but it's kind of cool
because it looks like Jake the Snake is looking up at the bear. 
I have no idea what Leah is looking at. 

Another of the many faces of Dax. 

We are related to Daniel Boone, so the natural desire to wear fur is no surprise.


Jackson Hole, WY is a pretty fun little Western town.  If you haven't been, you
need to go.  We would love to go back, perhaps without the kids in tow so we
can experience some of the culinary and night life it has to offer. 

We had a blast visiting Grand Teton National Park, but it wouldn't end there.  We still had many good meals to enjoy, campfires to light, s'mores to melt, games to play, laughs to be had and of course there was Yellowstone National Park to boot.  We'll eventually get around to sharing those pics too. 


No comments: