Friday, April 24, 2020

Rebel Without a Cause?


Here it is, 4am, and I can't sleep.  So, for the first time in over a year, I'm writing in my blog.  These are strange times and probably warrant more documentation than once a year.  Strange times indeed. 

Recently, while on one of our family drives to get out of our quarantined home, I stated to the children, "If I've taught you anything in this life, I hope one of the things I've instilled in you is that you should always distrust the government."  I don't mean "never trust the government".  Always distrust the government.  Does this statement make me:

A) Some kind of anti-government whack job
B) A person that should be on a government watch list
C) A student of history and lover of the Constitution

I have to admit, just as soon as I heard myself say it, I thought I sounded a bit like options A or B.  I'm sure I got a funny look from my more peaceful and prudent better half, that caused me to immediately explain to my kids exactly what I meant.  Lucky them, right?.  It's been something on my mind lately, perhaps due to this pandemic or perhaps after years of watching our inept government in action (or inaction). I recently spoke to a local friend that happens to be living in England at this unprecedented time. He explained the noticeable difference between how Brits and Americans view government involvement and interference in their lives.  The moment the pandemic panic began, the Brits, in his opinion, immediately looked to the government for guidance.  "What shall we do?  Tell us and we'll do it." With a blind willingness to obey.  Whilst here in the states, the very suggestion of action in one way or another sparks immediate response of push back and rebellious rhetoric from a large part of us.  "Screw you!  Pound sand!  You can't tell me what to do!  I know my rights!"  And that sentiment, in my opinion, will only get stronger.  Why are we Yanks like this?  What makes us different in this regard?


Is it in our blood?  Is it in our DNA?  Are we taught to be this way?  Is it in our genetic makeup to do so or are we taught to be this way?  Where does it come from?  Is it the right approach?  Like many or most rebellious people, they may have come out of the womb kicking and screaming, but they weren't necessarily born rebellious.  It typically takes an act of oppression to spark rebelliousness.  In fact, the act of oppression is an integral part of the definition of rebelliousness.  For without an oppressive position, one cannot push back against it.  Every 3rd grader in our country has been taught the history of why our nation exists today.  Granted, the government directed curriculum waters down the history and emphasis of the history more and more each year, but the premise of our nation's existence is still one of oppression and rebellion.  From this root stems our distrust of government.  But should we still?


I'm not saying government can't be good. I'm not saying there can't be good men in government.  Surely, it is becoming harder and harder to find and keep good men in government and thus harder and harder to find good in government itself.  *As a side note, and for the record, I use the word "men" in the sense of mankind.  Yes, I mean women also.  So don't hold the match to your bra just yet.  In fact, let me take the opportunity to say it's my opinion we desperately need more good women in government roles.  Now that this is cleared up, let me go on.  Government can be good.  Many good things are organized, created and supported by government.  Evidence of that can be seen all around us. However, one must not dig too deeply in the history books to realize that government is responsible for some or most of the shittiest things in history as well.  The government does not hold full responsibility alone.  A complicit citizenship shares the blame.


Thomas Jefferson penned in a letter to Abigail Smith Adams, "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive."  So...yes.  The answer is an emphatic "Yes".  Yes, we should resist government to this very day and every day.  It is our duty to do so.  It is easier for the country to keep a good course when the government is kept in check, rather than blindly trust it to do so unchecked.  It is human nature to abuse power.  It has been shown time and time again that power corrupts.  It was this abuse of power that caused our predecessors to rise up against King George and their oppressors.  It was the foresight of our forefathers that recognized the inherent corruption that comes from government power and today we see that corruption regularly. In fact, this corruption is so common that most of us have grown to expect it and therefore accept it.  Our forefathers worked tirelessly to create a government system filled with checks and balances for that very reason.  

I say "tirelessly" because our government system was not and is not a simple concept that was derived from a conversation or two.  It is the result of years of conversation and debate from every direction and angle with consideration given to every affected person, party and entity.  They had to create a system wherein no individual, religion, state or branch of government held enough power to control or exercise power over the other.  Massachusetts should never dictate what Virginians can and can't do, land owners should not have absolute power over tenants, religious belief should not be determined by any government, state or federal...just to name a few.  The people must be represented in some way in all things.  And by no means should there ever be a king, queen or any other individual that holds unrestrained control over everything.  This took years to sort out.  It is the reason for the 3 branches of government, the electoral college, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right to bear arms and so much more.  It is the reason amendments have been made since as well. 


These were not ideals that were spawned from mid-air or fantastical bedtime stories.  They were ideals that were formed from the sad experience and history that without these ideals fashioned into the government, history would surely repeat itself.  This healthy skepticism is by design and should not be quelled.  It should be managed however, but not by the government, rather it should be managed by the responsible citizens themselves.  It is our duty to support the government when they act responsibly and in our best interest.  We should never blindly accept that support, however, as the correct course of action.  For while that supportive action likely has roots in decency, it can be hijacked for nefarious purposes or twisted to meet greedy and selfish motives. We should never blindly allow the most sincere efforts to govern go unchecked.  We should always have an eyebrow raised in suspicion and should voice our concern when we identify something that may not seem right.  It is our duty to do so.  


I love my country.  My parents instilled that in me. I'm as patriotic as the day is long.  But what about my country is it that I love so much? What love do I want to pass onto my children in hopes that they'll have the opportunity to pass onto theirs?  It is not a love for our government, but rather a love for the concept of our government and the history from whence it came.  Sometimes watching the government makes me feel like a child that meets his hero only to learn that this hero is so flawed and such a let down.  Perhaps this is what makes it easier for some of us to put our heads in the sand and simply assume that those in power have our best interest and are unmoved by temptations or greed or unbridled power.  Me and mine will recognize the need for that power to be bridled...if not by those with the power, than by those who gave that power to them.  That is what I mean when I teach my daughter and son to "always distrust the government".


1 comment:

Leslie said...

First of all thank you for writing a blog. I miss them. You are such a good writer and a good thinker.

Your initial question certainly caught my interest... because I know you are a patriot i know it would tie in to a patriotic point of view, but i was anxious to read on.

I read it to grandma too. She thinks it should be published. I am glad you don't have apathy that so many Americans have. Also i am grateful that your distrust in government doesn't just make you angry, but determined. You definitely pulled me to your viewpoint and understanding by the conclusion. Because you're my son you also made me proud. I love you.