
We have a ward activity tomorrow focused around service. The concept was to get out into the neighborhood as families and serve one another in the warm Spring temperatures. It is a simple concept. One that shouldn't include much drama. I found it interesting to learn that there are many different views regarding service. There are those that are eager to serve and those that are eager to be served. There are those that are embarrassed to be served and those that may be too anxious to be served. Those who are offended to be served and those who are worried to offend. There are those who want to serve and those who serve out of duty. There are those who deny service and those who beg for it. There are those who seek ways to serve and those who serve when asked. There are those who do so quietly and those who serve loudly for all to see. Then of course there is Mother Nature who seems to be altogether opposed to our serving eachother tomorrow and thus has dumped snow upon us with one day left until May!
Elder Eyring recently said in the last conference, "He (God) has from the beginning of time provided ways for His disciples to help. He has invited His children to consecrate their time, their means, and themselves to join with Him in serving others." This was a wonderful talk on service and can be read here. I cannot judge or pass judgment on those who are feeling these different feelings regarding service, for at one time or another, I have surely felt the same way. However, I am certain that there are only two ways we should feel regarding service. Blessed to receive it and blessed to give it. We should welcome those that wish to serve us and realize that their service represents love as it is intended and that they, along with myself, will be blessed for doing so. We should seek ways to serve others...everyone. Of course we have a responsibility to serve those who truly need it, but what a blessing it is in our lives and the lives of anyone we serve to show that love by way of service. I for one will be blessed to serve and blessed to be served.
1 comment:
Service/charity is one of the main principles in the "greater law" that Christ taught us, and set an example for.
"Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me."
We were taught to serve and chastised for not serving in the parable of the "Good Samaritan".
I think it is much more difficult to receive than give. But I have learned that when you allow others to serve you the blessings are increased. One of the blessings are a close relationship with those that serve you.
It's still hard, but worthwhile.
Post a Comment