About twice a week, on my way to work, I pass an older woman (late 50's to early 60's) walking down the long frontage road with over-sized rolling briefcase on wheels in tote. She is typically dressed nicely and I can only suppose that she is on her way to work. This morning, it was about 37 degrees and raining a mix of rain and snow. It was a mess. Again I saw her and thought to myself, "She must be cold and totally wet. How will she be able to endure the day at work? By the time she gets there, she will be soaked all the way through and surely will get sick." She did have a jacket on, but her dress was drenched and her hair was completely wet with frozen sleet upon it. Then the dilemma set in. "Should I stop or should I keep going?" Where she was when I saw her this morning was far from the nearest spot I could stop due to construction. Nonetheless, I wanted to stop. My next thought was concerning whether or not she could even get into my newly lifted Jeep in her clothes and condition. Of course, ultimately, I was concerned for what she might think as a stranger pulled over and coaxed her to get into his car and I chose not to stop. I think next time I will. The worst that could happen is she could say no and assume I was a creep. Anyway, what would you do? Please vote in the poll to the right and let me know what you would have done this morning if you were in my situation with all things considered.
5 comments:
Good question. I understand how yo feel. I voted that I would have stopped. Only because I am a woman and she might feel less threatened by me than if I were a man. Also, she may not need a ride but you could possibly find out some info. on her by stopping. Is her car being repaired? Is she choosing to do this? Is she a member of the church? Does her ward know that she walks everyday in that sort of weather? Better yet, her visiting teachers. Some people are too proud to ask for help but maybe you can convince her to get some from her ward. - Or who knows, maybe she'll take you up on the offer.
Make sue you post what happens. Now I am more curious than ever to know her story.
Can't wait to hear what othe people say also. What did Sarah think?
I had the same situation except opposite. There was a man half laying/sitting a little in the lane. He appeared to be injured. I called 911 and then parked in a gas station a short distance a way until the paramedics came.
I called Jim to tell him about my dilemma He said he heard that this was a common scam, and dangerous.
I hope it wasn't a scam, because my urge was to help. That is what we are taught, to be a good samaritan, not a pharisee who goes to the other side of the road.
Who could you call? I think since you see her often it might be good to stop. Or go to work and get one of the ladies to go back with you.
I would definately stop. Even if she thinks I'm creepy and said no, at least I tried. I couldn't drive on by and feel good about myself in that situation.
Are we our brothers keeper? I would have stopped. But to go along with Casey I am female and being a women she might have considered it less scary than being offered a ride by a man in a big scary lifted jeep:)
Post a Comment