Sunday, April 3, 2011

To Be As A Child

We recently took our little Angel to Disneyland. The Lou is quite possibly the bravest little girl I have ever known. She rode every ride that she was tall enough to ride. This included the Matterhorn, Dumbo, Teacups and the Gadget Coaster. She loved every minute of it. However, despite what they tell you, it is not entirely the happiest place on Earth. There were a couple shows, "Captain EO", "It's Tough Being A Bug" and "World of Color". It was interesting watching her reactions to the different scenes, plots and music. I have never seen this brave little girl get frightened at anytime about anything. She did react with terrific horror to the scary parts of the shows. Seriously, this little girl screamed louder and higher pitched than anyone I have ever known. She courageously never looked away, but she was absolutely scared to death! I know this is not a uniquely amazing discovery to say that she was scared by the characters that were designed to be scary, but on a deeper level she was also scared by the darker colors and horrified by the gloomy, daunting and threatening music. This caused me to think. Why do we, adults, not get frightened so easily? It is sad to me that our sensors have been so attacked and have become so calloused that we are not effected by things that are meant to affect us. As I pondered further, it donned on me that I (and we) need to be more like a child and find pleasure in the simple things and to be more sensitive and frightened of those things that should frighten me. How much happier would I be? How much trouble or unhappiness would I avoid if I were? From the mouths, and actions, of babes...

1 comment:

eran said...

Funny I had some of the same thoughts about fear.

My two cents of free comment is this.

1. Being older we understand fear and how to handle it better than children.

2. Over time we have been deceived by so much so often we aren't easily fooled by effects, etc.

3. What scares me now... is far different than when I was single.