Leah enjoying the playground in the great weather before game time.
Soccer. I loved playing soccer. Always have. Leah...not so much. She is an amazing goalie, but the league she is in now does not use goalies at her age level so she is forced to participate on the field and that simply just doesn't motivate her enough. She is passionate about playing keeper and does quite well. Offensive or defensive positions? Not so much. That is okay. I can accept that. Most important at this age is that she has fun and thus wants to continue playing where, perhaps, her love for the sport increases.
My favorite weather to play soccer in was rain. Nothing got me more pumped than a good hard rain during game time. Nothing was more fun or memorable afterwards than a rainy soccer game. Today provided such an opportunity for Leah. We talked about it all morning. We talked about my team names as a kid and what colors I wore. We talked about playing in the rain and how to stay warm during down times. She was hanging on every word, and, for the first time, she really was excited to play soccer!
The weather up to the game was cloudy, but 65 degrees and perfect. Upon beginning the game, the heavens opened and poured down on us big fat rain! The temperature dropped and I immediately wondered if it would be too much for the kids. It was cold! I was cold! Most of the kids, and parents, were unprepared for the weather and there was continuous debate from the start whether or not the game should be cancelled. They played on. And play they did! Leah hustled more than I have seen her ever hustle before. When she came out as a sub, she immediately asked to go back in and did so with enthusiasm. It made me so happy.
Though the game was called after only one quarter (the opposing coach was against playing at all), we packed up and went home, soaking wet and proud of her efforts. To make the day even better, as she was drinking her hot cocoa she asked, "Dad, can I watch USC football with you today?" This kid knows the way to her Daddy's heart.



No comments:
Post a Comment