Monday, December 15, 2014

Punch In The Gut!


Wow!  I have no words.  I just sold my baby and I have mixed emotions.

Sacrifice is a pretty cool thing actually, and most people, myself included, spend their whole life trying to get ahead of the game just in order to avoid it!  Few of us "want" to sacrifice or seek it out.  But we are all faced with opportunities to sacrifice in our lives; whether it be sacrifice of time, patience, money or other resources. When you sacrifice for the right thing, it's cool.  It's fun.  It feels right.  Today is no different.  Though I truly do feel like somebody just punched me in the gut, I feel good knowing that nothing owns me.  That I chose to sacrifice something for the greater good before it was required of me.  

I love loved my Jeep, or as I called her, "Rusty".  It may sound funny, but I honestly feel like I just sold part of my identity.  The Jeep was definitely part of me.  I loved that car.  Have I mentioned that yet?!  In case you missed it, let me repeat...I loved my Jeep!  So, if I loved it so much, why would I sell it?  Many will ask me that question the next few weeks.  

About a year and a half ago I left my comfy job of 15 years to pursue my own business in insurance.  Insurance is an interesting thing in the sense that the first 5 years it is common for an agent to be overworked and underpaid.  Fortunately, in theory, from 5 years on a good agent transitions from being overworked and underpaid to being underworked and overpaid.  While I am certain I will get to where I need to go, the first year and a half has been a slow go.  

I am happy to report that I have proven to myself that money doesn't have too tight a grip on my soul.  As is the nature of this world, there is somewhat of a grip, but fortunately that grip is not unbreakable  It was relatively easy to leave a very good paying and comfortable job all while knowing my income the first two years would literally be 10% of what I was used to.  As planned, I am as broke as I anticipated, but I have no regret.  I am enjoying my new career thoroughly and I see a bright light at the end of the tunnel.  

I knew times would be tough and I was ready; spiritually, mentally and fiscally.  I have been so blessed by my last job and by the owners of that company for providing me such a wonderful life for me and my family.  I have been blessed with a clear understanding of finances and the importance of living within my means and saving.  God has blessed me with confirmation of what I should do and a realization that if I follow his counsel, I will never go without.  I know I am not guaranteed wealth, but I have his promise that my family will never go hungry or unsheltered.  

Just as God has promised to take care of me so long as I do His will, I too have made a promise to Sarah, Leah and Dax to take care of them.  So there it is.  My love for them is greater than my love for the Jeep and I find comfort in that fact.  It makes the difficult decision to sell my Jeep, the Jeep that has brought so much happiness into my life, that much easier and worthwhile.  Whenever in my life I have been faced with a difficult decision and make the right decision in spite of how difficult it was, I have experienced feelings of fulfillment, pride and strength.  Such is the case now.

Yes, I loved that Jeep.  Yes, I have been bleeding cash tremendously for the last year and a half.  Yes, I would rather have my Jeep.  Yes, I love my family.  Yes, I trust my Heavenly Father.  Yes, I know I will succeed.  Yes, I know this sacrifice is temporary.

It has been a rough year.  I have lost much time in building my business due to my health and my Dad's struggle with cancer.  That being said, I have seen amazing growth and even greater growth lay on the horizon.  I enjoy saving people money on their insurance and love being in a position of trust among my fellowman.  I have the support of my loving wife and all the motivation in the world is found in her and my beautiful children.  

Bottom line...my next Jeep will be even better!  Soon enough.

1 comment: