![]() |
| Me in front of the spot where we left Kathy's remains. |
Earlier this year, my Aunt Kathy passed away in the senior rehabilitation center in which she had been living. I recorded in my personal journal my thoughts on her, her life, her relationship with my Father and some of my memories. I opted to not share anything here simply because I'm tired. Tired of death and having to be so serious about subjects that require such seriousness. I loved her dearly. I wish I had more time with her and my Father. I did my best to honor her wishes at death. It was not easy and required time and resources I don't have, but I hope she appreciates it and understands it is just a small token of my affection for her. I write this blog entry for her family and friends so that they may know her final wishes were met.
![]() |
The road to Huasna Valley
|
Kathy mentioned to my Mother and to her cousin, Sandie, that she wanted to have her ashes
left in the Huasna Valley of Central Coastal California. I had never heard of it. She simply mentioned that you go to the end of her road, Cienaga Road, and there it will be. So, I Googled it and turns out it wasn't that simple. It was about a 40 minute drive from her front door, but it was a beautiful drive. She didn't specify any particular place, so we were winging it. I imagined in my mind's eye that we might find a lone Oak some short distance from the road that might not only be scenic, but memorable too in case we ever visited again. With that thought in mind, we followed Google's directions and headed towards Huasna Valley
Shortly after making the final turn onto Alamo Creek Road, we came upon a gulley and dry river (assumed to be Alamo Creek). There was a lone Oak tree just off the road, almost exactly as it had appeared in my head. We continued to drive to find that perfect spot, but ultimately came back to this Oak covered in Spanish moss.
![]() |
| Leah's Flower for Aunt Kathy |
After turning on the mile long dead end road that is Huasna Valley, Sarah realized we had not stopped to get any flowers. We were miles and miles from any store of any kind so Leah agreed to draw some flowers for Aunt Kathy. Aunt Kathy favored herself as an artist so I know she would have appreciated Leah's contribution.
A few have asked why I didn't spread the ashes into the wind and chose to pour the ashes out onto the ground instead. You don't have to be a genius to know what ash does in the wind. I know that nature will take it's course and the wind, rains and creek will eventually return her to the Earth. As I poured the ashes out, naturally, Leah had questions. It was a good opportunity to discuss how the world was created with organized matter and that we also came from that same matter and thus it only makes sense that we return to from whence we came. We also discussed how important it is to respect the Earth and all living things on it and how sacred these things were to our Native American ancestors. We discussed how it is our belief that we will one day live with our family again and that we will see Grandpa Bud and Aunt Kathy again. I bore a brief testimony that our Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to return to Him and to this purpose He sent His Son so that we might do so. We then had a brief family prayer and took some pictures.
![]() |
| Aunt Kathy's final resting place. The banks of Alamo Creek in the Huasna Valley of the California central coastal mountains of Santa Maria near the Los Padres National Forest. |
As we were the only family able to be there, Leah and Dax gathered a few rocks, one for each of their cousins and uncles and aunts, that they might keep the rock to remember their Aunt Kathy's place of rest. It was sweet.
I hope your memories of Aunt Kathy are fond memories. If they are not, I pray you may forget them and remember only those good things about her. She was definitely her own person which is why we loved her. RIP, Aunt Kathy.


















2 comments:
Thank you so much sweet Marque. I look at these pictures and read your words and I am more than grateful to have you as my family. Thank you for all you have doe and for all you continue to do for our family.
All my love,
Michele
Marque, thank you so much for taking this journey on for all of us. You know how much I wanted to be there, but I had to be there for Grandma instead.
I can't believe how beautiful the spot was and how it coincided with your vision of what it should be. It seems the Lord, your Dad and Aunt Kathy were in agreement because the pictures sure were radiating approval. Especially the one with you in front of the tree.
You have taken on this families responsibility as a patriarch so well, and we all thank you. I know also, that you have faced so much death and heartache with Brent and Shannon's deaths as well. Thank you for serving so well. I love you babe. I love my dear sister-in-law and I'm grateful you were able to give her these last wishes.
She was not a social person but she loved her family with all her heart. The pictures you kids sent her were priceless.
Post a Comment