For years now, we have wanted to buy a trailer. Having very conservative financial views, I have talked myself out of buying a trailer for 5 years now. 5 years ago when we could afford it, I spent most of my time convincing myself it wasn't needed. The last 4 years, as I have been building my own business, we've cut back on expenses in one way or another and it just didn't make sense to spend the money on a trailer. The real and consistent conflict was the fact that trailers are a big purchase, exhausting a lot of money, but they also check the box of one of the mental qualifying characteristics of purchases I consider worthwhile. Memories.
We've cut back tremendously on our out of state/out of country travels the last 4 years and we're happy to do it. We know it will get us to where we want to be, but in the meantime, it is still important that we continue to build memories with each other and with our children. Camping is always a good way to do that. We love to camp. However, with my arthritis, there is always a chance I will not be in a condition needed to build and break camp. In addition to that, the last few times we've camped, we get rained out. While our tent is definitely weather strong, it is hard to prepare meals in a tent and with small children, the heavy storms are only fond memories to a point. So, we finally decided to get a trailer.
So, without further adieu, I present to you our new trailer (new to us...it's a 2008), Coachmen's "The Spirit of America"! We love it. "Coach" as I have named it, is a 28 foot trailer with an 8' slide out. It sleeps 6, but really 4 comfortably. It has all the features we wanted and it's light enough for the F150 to pull. It had good color schemes and is in very well taken care of condition. The kids thought we didn't have a choice which trailer we got, but that we HAD to get this one because it had a picture of Marley the Dalmation on the side of it.
Having never owned a trailer before, my first concern was the whole, "Emptying the pooper" situation. I didn't want to re-enact the RV scene where Robin Williams ends up covered in poop. Ick. Having been out three times with it now, I can tell you it is not that big of a deal and it is definitely worth the dirty task for the other conveniences the trailer offers. The other great thing about RVing is the friendliness of those RVing alongside you. Much like boaters on the lake, people RVing are happier. Always happy to offer a friendly "Howdy" or "Hello" accompanied with a wave. If you have a problem or concern, just ask another RVer. They're happy to help. This is so valuable to the novice RVer.
The moment we got our trailer we started looking for campgrounds to book. The problem is that we bought our RV the beginning of July and all the campsites were booked for the next 2-4 months. :( My neighbor, Nate, turned me on to a new RV park in Heber, UT. It was only 40 minutes away from us, but it was new so that means it was relatively unknown and available. It was the perfect location for our first time RVing. We already knew we liked Heber and honestly, we have missed it ever since we sold our cabin at Timber Lakes Estates, so we were off to Heber Valley Mountain RV and Resort! The kids loved it because of the pool and we liked it because of the easy access pull through campsites and wifi so I could get a little work done.
It hardly felt like camping, though I realize much of this had to do with the RV Resort. It is brand new and has all the amenities. Having since been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Leah is now asking when we can go back to Heber Valley Mountain Resort. I can't blame her. It had everything; playground, basketball courts, pickleball courts, shuffleboard, heated pool, club house, fire ring, etc. Of course, for the kids, they were either swimming or begging to know when they could go swimming again!
The moment we got our trailer we started looking for campgrounds to book. The problem is that we bought our RV the beginning of July and all the campsites were booked for the next 2-4 months. :( My neighbor, Nate, turned me on to a new RV park in Heber, UT. It was only 40 minutes away from us, but it was new so that means it was relatively unknown and available. It was the perfect location for our first time RVing. We already knew we liked Heber and honestly, we have missed it ever since we sold our cabin at Timber Lakes Estates, so we were off to Heber Valley Mountain RV and Resort! The kids loved it because of the pool and we liked it because of the easy access pull through campsites and wifi so I could get a little work done.
It hardly felt like camping, though I realize much of this had to do with the RV Resort. It is brand new and has all the amenities. Having since been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Leah is now asking when we can go back to Heber Valley Mountain Resort. I can't blame her. It had everything; playground, basketball courts, pickleball courts, shuffleboard, heated pool, club house, fire ring, etc. Of course, for the kids, they were either swimming or begging to know when they could go swimming again!
We interrupt this post to bring you another episode of, "The Many Faces of Dax!"
And now back to your regular boring post.
![]() |
| Leah has been practicing diving and flipping with all the seriousness that is seen in this photo. |
We had planned and shopped for meals to be prepared in our trailer, but we found ourselves out and about right up until dinner time. It was extremely hot and after a long day of hiking and such, we opted both nights to just grab a bite to eat at a restaurant rather than to go back to the trailer and heat it up with the stove and oven. We had great meals at Café Galleria in Midway and at Grannies Burgers and Shakes in Heber. While in Grannies, Leah suddenly covered her face with a napkin. When asked why, she pointed out 6 young women who had come in wearing bikinis and shorty shorts. They proceeded to take off their t shirts in an effort to be more attractive to the boys working behind the counter. HAHA! She was embarrassed for them and their "immodest dress". While I was impressed with her ability to realize what was immodest and inappropriate or at best, out of place...I was quick to point out it was not her place or mine to judge or anything the like. I am proud of her though.
![]() |
| A Coke and a Smile |
![]() |
| Eventually restlessness gave way to sleepiness. |
![]() |
| Thankfully the pizza arrived. |
![]() |
| Leah insisted that we share a coke with two straws since we "are in love". |
![]() |
| Leah and Dax requesting songs of the musician. |
![]() |
| I know much of this is the angle and perspective of the shot, but Leah seems way to big and grown up in this picture. It stresses me out. |
It was a good first run with the trailer. Coach did great, the kids did great, Sarah is the greatest travel companion ever and I didn't muck anything up, so all in all, it was a great success and left us eager to get on the road once more.
![]() |
| The day we left we finally broke in the galley with some sausage, egg and cheese breakfast burritos. |











































1 comment:
I'm so glad you got coach with Marley on the side. Looks like a really fun addition to the family. I love your proactive approach to making memories.
Post a Comment