Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Team T-Rex On The Pitch

 The last two years Leah was in soccer, it pained me that I couldn't coach her.  Unfortunately, my arthritis flare ups the last three years have become to severe and too frequent for me to make a commitment to a group of kids if I was unsure I could keep that commitment.  The first year I did assist my friend Shaun as much as I could, but that year I often couldn't get around without a cane and it just was uncomfortable to be seen in that condition.  So, at the expense of Leah's experience, I denied myself that opportunity.  Luckily, she still enjoyed her time on the team and has since dedicated herself to cheerleading and the piano.  I hope she doesn't resent me for not being more involved in her soccer experience.  God knows I wanted to be. 

So, when Dax became old enough to sign up for pre-K soccer through AF Rec, I immediately volunteered myself as a head coach.  Since last year, I have made some adjustments to my medications that seem to be working.  I still have flare ups, but they are fewer and further between and not nearly as severe.  For this, I could not be more happy and grateful.  I am excited to be able to be more active and hope Dax finds a love for sport and athletics that I have always enjoyed.  With that, I became the coach of Team T-Rex; a team of nine 4 year olds...what have I gotten myself into?!  Be careful what you ask for people!  

Practice, Practice, Practice
Dax loved playing in goal in our first scrimmage we arranged against another
team that practiced on the same field. 

This picture is so awesome!  In the foreground is our most serious and talented
player and our goofiest and least serious player, Dom and Dax.  In the
background are two of our other players and is photographic evidence of some
of the difficulties one has to deal with coaching 4 year olds.  We had one player
that loved to hug other players, especially one of the co-ed players. 

 Coaching 4 year olds is much like trying to herd cats.  It is near impossible.  Realizing this would be the case even before agreeing to coach Dax's team, I made a big effort to organize myself and the team as best as I could so that we could allow the kids to have a fun time without too much unnecessary pressure.  I realized from years of playing soccer and refereeing soccer that if the kids at this age did not have a fun time, they would not want to continue down the "soccer path" and thus not give themselves enough time to develop and learn to love the sport.  I had set a few goals before the season started and tried my best to communicate those goals to the parents of the players.  The parents would ultimately make the biggest difference.

Coach Brando directing Dax

My goals were first to make sure the kids had fun.  Again it was the most important so that they could afford themselves another few years of playing.  If they didn't have fun, they would not sign up again and would never realize their potential in the sport.  Second, I wanted to make sure they worked hard.  They needed to learn that sometimes things that are worthwhile can be difficult.  It is at those hard times that they must finish.  Quitting isn't an option.  Thirdly, I wanted them to learn the more important principles of team sports; Work Ethic, Having a Winning Attitude, How to be a Humble Winner, How to be a Gracious Winner, Sportsmanship, Teamwork and the like.  Lastly, I wanted them to glean some understanding of the sport of soccer.  If nothing else, it would be a victory for me as the coach in their early years if they could experience success, winning, losing, pushing through, running hard, and understanding that we don't use our hands in soccer, which way they're going and kicking the ball towards the right goal. 

Go Team T-Rex!

What a difference a good assistant coach makes.  Coach Brandon was a stud to work with!  He understood the sport, had a desire to win, and the oh so necessary patience to deal with 9 four pre-schoolers.  He filled in when I couldn't due to health issues or scheduling conflicts.  The kids loved him and it was truly a pleasure to get to know him and call him friend. 

Game 1:  Team T-Rex 5, Opponent 1
A family pic right before the game.  Asher, one of Dax's teammates, jumped
in the photo! 

Coach and Dax/Father and Son

This kid is a punk, but I love him.  I never knew when he came to us, that I had the capacity
to love the little dude as much as I do.

With several practices under our belts, the kids were ready to play and very
focused.  It showed in their play and willingness to stay with it. 

Dax didn't get a lot of touches on the ball, but he ran the entire game.  While
he was often in the rear of the pack, he still hustled and for that I was proud.
This is one of the few if not only pic of this game where he isn't acting like
a Velociraptor or holding his pants up to his chest.  The kid cracks me up!

If you've ever coached soccer with kids this age, you already know that you
spend most of the down time getting the kids in position by literally moving
them to their spots.  Once several minutes have passed getting them in position
and ready to play, the whistle blows and then they all run into a big jumble
of bodies around the ball, kicking at it.  Thank goodness for shin guards!


This was a more comfortable speed for Dax. 

Dax's impression of a Velociraptor as seen here, were often contagious with
teammates or even players on the other team. 

I have no idea what is going on here. 

Here is Dax with his shorts pulled up as high as they could go.  You can't really tell,
but he is wearing black boxer briefs, so the actual shorts are much higher than they
appear. 


You can see in the photo of Dax and I above, just what kind of character Dax is.  He was the smallest boy on the team.  We had a girl about the same size as Dax, but she was certainly a more serious player than our Daxalicious was.  In game 1, Dax didn't play soccer.  He ran around the field roaring and running like a Velociraptor.  It was hilarious to watch.  If he wasn't acting like a dinosaur, he would grab the sides of the bottom of his shorts and pull them to his armpits or as high as he could while running.  While it was at times frustrating, it became apparent early that it was more important to let him have fun than it was for him to put together an offensive strike.  The reality was that most of the kids were in some way, shape or form, only slightly as excited to play soccer as they were for the experience to be on a team and just about all of them would struggle with focus and attention.  Dax was not unique in that regard. 

Team T-Rex was victorious and they played in a manner they could be proud.
Here the two teams met on the field to exchange congratulatory high 5's.

The parents were awesome!  Every game, they would show their love and
support for our team.  In fact, it was pretty common for the other team to
look on in envy as our team celebrated after the game.  To show our good
sportsmanship, we always invited the other team to run through the tunnel
of champions along with us.  Seriously, parents make the difference.  Coach
Brandon and I would often discuss how disgusted we were at some parents on
the other teams that were simply too hard on their kids or didn't understand as
we did.

During the week in practice as well as before the game and at half time, we
would discuss as a team the "Principle of the week".  Mostly it was something
like sportsmanship or attitude, but because this was the first game, it was
important for us to get a win or at least a strong showing so our focus was
"Scoring Goals".  Whichever player exemplified that principle was made the
MVP.  I'm not a big fan of "everybody wins", but I did make it a point to
make sure every player was recognized for something by the end of the
season.  The MVP got a BIG Hershey's bar and they all loved that. 

Game 2:  Team T-Rex 7, Opponent 3
Easily Distracted.  This time by a dandelion.

Starting off the game with a chat about that week's principle, "Winning
Attitude" and a team cheer.

Coach Brandon and Dax in the sub tent.

Coach Brando and I had a pretty good system.  I would referee and coach on the field for the first half while he managed the subs.  At half we would switch.  I think he did a better job of managing the subs than I did.  Then again, by the 2nd half, most of the kids attention spans were melting down to nothing so I am sure he may have felt the same way on the inside coaching the 2nd half.  It was a challenge to keep the kids committed.  They all, but one, wanted to sub out the 2nd half and the subs wanted to play, but not soccer.  Focus was always more difficult the 2nd half. 


Dax in net.

Dax was fun to watch in goal this game.  He gave up two of the other team's 3 goals in the short time he played goalie.  This wasn't necessarily because he played poorly in the net.  The first shot on him in goal was a great stop, but it rebounded right in front of him and directly to the other team.  Everybody cheered for Dax.  The problem was that Dax then proceeded to celebrate with fist pumps rather than continuing to play and the opponent kicked it in the net as Dax danced!  It was hard not to laugh and celebrate along with him.  The other shot that went in against Dax was also a great stop.  In fact, it was two consecutive stops by Dax.  He blocked a shot, then blocked the next shot off of his rebound.  When he ran towards the ball to pick it up, he did one of those clown tricks where the clown bends down to pick up his hat, but kicks it away from himself instead!  Dax kicked the ball right into his own goal!  It was hilarious, because again, Dax celebrated.  He had, afterall, gotten his first goal!


 
Dax retiring from the field after a strong effort and hard won victory.

But there's always extra energy to run the tunnel!

One of Dax's good friends is Linus.  Dax was so happy that he was on the same
team as Linus.  Linus is such a fun kid.  He's gonna' be a good soccer player.
He cracks me up!
 
Game 3:  Team T-Rex 4, Opponent 3
Linus giving his 2 cents as to what our team cheer should be before the game.


Team T-Rex coming back to center field to a happy coach giving High 5's



Halftime adjustments
 
Another objective I had in every game is that everybody played.  I remember my days in AYSO (All Youth Soccer Organization) back home in Southern California.  Their motto was, "Everybody Plays", and I think at this level that is as important as anything.  This makes it a challenge when it comes to managing the personnel on the field.  As a coach you want everybody to have fairly equal playing time whether it leads to a victory or not, but you also want your best chance of winning while doing so.  It was a challenge to make sure the team on the field would work well together and create a consistent effort and talent throughout the game.  While we had some that lacked focus or drive, we had others that were extremely driven and focused.  We had to create the right combos as best as we could each time.  It was also important that every player got the chance to play every position.  Even goalie...again...even if it meant you knew you were playing a player that you knew would allow the other team to score and it likely meant a loss.  That was okay.  There would be other games.  Everybody Plays! 

Dax's animated moves were a hit among the spectators.

With good coaching, he played well in goal.  His buddy Linus, seen with him,
is a natural goalie too.  In this game he struggled a bit, but it was for a good
reason.  Linus got new shoes and he was too busy looking at his new shiny
shoes to be bothered stopping the ball from going in the net.  It was awesome!
He was so proud of his new shoes. 

Dax in a rare moment when he is truly focused on the game.  Two of his
teammates are too.  The third teammate is focused....on the hem of her jersey. 
This is a great shot!  3/4 of the team are focused at the same time!  We must
have won this game!

Focus!  Wow!  I had no idea what a challenge this was for a team of 4 year olds.  Imagine that one kid of yours, like Dax for me, that you have to literally say his name 10 times to get his attention.  Now multiply that times 9 of him.  It was frustrating at times, but in the end, all you could do was laugh.  Without exaggeration I must have averaged saying, yelling, signing, whispering or mouthing each kids name 5 times before getting a response.  I figured, if I had $1 for every time I told a kid to "put down that stick", I'd be a millionaire.  If I had $5 for every time I said, "get your hands out of your pants" or "don't pick your nose", I'd be a millionaire.  If I had $10 for every time I said, "leave the dirt, grass, pine cones, or bug alone", I'd be the King of the world!  Again I say, all I could do was laugh and enjoy the experience. 



The kids were really amazing and I would love to watch them grow up in the
sport to see how they develop.  Their personalities are so unique and I loved
coaching each of them. 

This was a special game.  Immediately after the game we were going on a
camping trip with Scott and his family, so they were there to watch Dax
play.  Uncool Scott was a great help coaching Dax in goal. 

Celebrating another victory and MVP! 


Nothing beats the Champions Tunnel!

Game 4:  Team T-Rex 4, Opponent 3
Sarah, Dax and I were not at this game so we don't have any pictures.  Sarah's Brother and Sister-in-law were sealed in the Jordan River Temple so we were busy with a reception for them.  Coach Brandon told me the kids played well and, in spite of a smaller team, they endured and emerged victorious. 

Game 5:  Team T-Rex 0, Opponent 9
This was our first loss and a great opportunity to teach the kids that losing is a part of playing and there was a right way and wrong way to do so.  The kids were having fun regardless and so it didn't make much difference to them.  Perhaps we did too well of a job emphasizing the importance of having fun over winning?!  Anyway, the kids really began to lose focus at this point in the season. I don't know that it was their fault entirely.  Up to this point we played our games on Saturday.  At this stretch in the season, we played a Saturday, then Thursday (5 days later) then Saturday again (2 days later) then, Tuesday (3 days later) then finally on Saturday again (4 days later).  Because they were scheduled to play 5 games in a matter of 14 days, we didn't have practices.  It would have just been too much.  Unfortunately, the lack of practice resulted in a lack of focus and attention.  It was very difficult during this stretch and we experienced our 3 non-wins back to back to back in that stretch.  That all being said, our team on their best day would have likely lost to this team.  They had a couple players that were very talented.  Coach Brandon wanted to see their birth certificates.  How many 4 year olds have beards?!  ;)

Game 6:  Team T-Rex 2, Opponent 2
Sarah had a bridal shower to attend this night so we don't have any pics as I was busy with the team.  This was a tough game that resulted in a tie.  Dax, along with 2 of his other teammates played very well in goal and took home the MVP for Defense. 

Game 7:  Team T-Rex 1, Opponent 6
I have no idea why we don't have pics of this game.  I'm guessing it was because it was a tough game to watch and therefore just as tough to document with photographs.  This game was a lesson in futility.  The kids simply didn't want to play or even try.  It was very frustrating.  To add to the frustration, Coach Brando had to go it alone because I had just had my wisdom teeth removed.  I was in no position to run around or yell.  That being said, after speaking to Coach Brandon after the game and sensing his frustration, I felt bad I abandoned him.  I've been there and it's hard, but it's not as hard when you realize it's not just you feeling that frustration. 

Final Game, Game 8:  Team T-Rex 7, Opponent 5 (Forfeit)
Team Clown

This was our last game so Megan, Coach Brandon's wife, took a team picture and individual pictures of each player.  It was a nice idea and hopefully the players and their parents appreciate the effort she and Brandon made this year.  I'm sure they did. 

Practice before the game.  By the looks of this photo, you might believe we
accomplished something this year.  At the beginning of the season, the kids
could not form a line to save their lives! 
 
Sacrificing my kid for the game. 

 This game ended up an immediate victory by forfeit.  The other team only had 4 players show up with 2 of them gone by half time.  We had to send two of our players to them in order for the kids to play their last game of the season.  It was a hard decision who to send over.  I didn't want to upset any of the parents by sending their kid over to some unknown team, so I sent Dax and Linus.  I knew they would be okay with it.  The funny thing was that, by the end of the game, it probably appeared I had given them Dax to sabotage their team.  They only had one good player and Dax spent most of the game distracting him and/or injuring him!  It was comical.  Dax was a champ about the whole thing as were the other two players that we rotated to the other team so we could play. 

Dax playing for the other team. 

This game was a victory for me personally.  I tried hard to engage the parents of the players and to create a positive experience for them and the parents responded in Aces.  By the end of the season, our opponent had only 4 of their 9 players at the beginning of the game and only 2 of their 9 by the end of the game.  There were literally 3 people there supporting them.  On our sideline, we had all 9 players and family in support from every direction.  Mission accomplished! 


Dax and their star player down on the turf....AGAIN!  It happened several
times.  Everytime their star player was down, Dax was nearby, either on
the ground with him or standing above him as if to say, "my bad".   

I love this kid.  He's most definitely my little buddy. 

 

Grandma is Dax's biggest fan.  She made every game she could. 

Dax was always excited when he came from the game with dirt on his knees.  It was a red
badge of courage of sorts. 

Team T-Rex!
Coach Brandon and Coach Q
Standing: Asher, Lilah, Maylee, Tanner and Domenic
Sitting:  Levi, Linus, Gavin and Dax
We ended the season with a pizza party and trophies.  It was good to see the kids one last time.  I hope my efforts and the efforts of Coach Brandon as well as their parents made a difference in their experience.  I don't expect them to remember me, but I hope they enjoyed themselves enough to continue playing for the next several years or at least give it an opportunity.  I hope they learned the importance of supporting your team and having a winning attitude.  I hope they understand the value of working hard and not quitting.  I hope they know to always push towards the right goal.  I hope they had fun. 



Dax showing off his trophy...but it's a different player's.  Oops!

What a charmer this T-Rex is. 

When we got home from his last game I told him to put his cleats and shin
guards away until next season.  This is where we found them.  On the train
to Soccertown!


1 comment:

Leslie said...

I am so grateful you blog and journal so well. I truly enjoy reliving these moments through your words and pictures. I am happiest when sitting at a soccer game. Love the sport and enjoying being outside. I loved watching my kids play soccer, and it is a bonus watching my son's coaching their kids. Pure joy.