Okay...I'm finally catching up with myself and only now, the 30th of October, getting around to documenting our 4th of July Celebration. So that would make this the 122nd of July! Better late than never. I think I'll throw our Steel Days Parade in here as well. Enjoy!
 |
| I Bleed Red, White and Blue! Apparently I also tan, Stars and Stripes! |
Independence Day Cul-de-Sac of Fire
Ever since we've lived in the Meadowbrook subdivision, we've celebrated Independence Day together. It has changed over the years and has grown in size and such, but it is always fun. I do miss the days when it was slightly more intimate, but it's fun to have the whole neighborhood surrounding our subdivision as well. We are surrounded by good people on all sides and it's been fun to watch this tradition embraced by so many.
Typically we start the day with outdoor activities such as the Mega Slip N' Slide, Dunk Tank, Water Castles, etc. We usually have food tents with Nachos, Popcorn, Snow Cones and Cotton Candy. It's a very busy day for the kids, while most of the adults chill in the shade as the kids have their fun. We used to start the morning out with a flag ceremony, breakfast and patriotic bike parade for the kids. It's sad that nobody misses that; that the holiday seemingly forgets the real meaning behind it all. I understand there are a lot of things going on, but it is important to me, so Sarah and I have a little thing of our own with Leah and Dax, wherein we discuss the meaning and importance of our freedom and the cost of it, then we say the pledge to the flag. It's a good way to start the festivities.
This year, our friends Tim and Casey had stopped by on their way to Canada to visit friends and family in Utah for a few days. It was nice to have them with us and a good reason to get together with our other mutual friends, Jason and Melanie along with Mike and Beth. Good friendships always survive the miles and years apart. Such is the case with Tim and I and I'm grateful. He has an amazing wife and family, as does Jason and Mike. We see Jason and Mike and their families more often, so it was nice to plug in that final piece of the puzzle with Tim and Casey in town. I think their girls were bored to death and will probably never want to visit again, but it was nice for us to see them.
 |
Tim and Casey's Family
L to R: Casey, Olivia, Maya, McKenna and Tim.
Alexa was truly missed. She is serving a full time mission in PA right now. |
 |
| Leah loved cooling off in the dunk tank and on the Slip N Slide. |
 |
While Leah was mostly preoccupied with the water games, Dax was busy
consuming cotton candy by the pound! |
 |
| Dax seemingly making out with his Cotton Candy. |
 |
| Slippin' and a Slidin'! |
 |
Maya was so kind to Dax. All the girls were. They weren't real fans of me
I think, but they loved Dax! What's not to love about Dax?! |
 |
| I'm not sure this is the best technique I've seen, but it got the job done. |
 |
| Leah reaching the end of the line. |
 |
Typical teen, eh...not so much. Olivia is advanced....texting with two
phones at once! She's amazing! |
 |
| Valderramas, Hopkins, VanBuskirks and Trospers. Together Again. |
 |
It was nice to get together with these three yahoos again.
L to R: Mike, Tim, Jason and me. |
 |
Our better halves...no question about it!
L to R: Melanie, Casey, Beth and Sarah |
 |
| Leah ready to celebrate with Fireworks! |
 |
Dax is a little premature with the toys that light up. He was anxious for the sun to go down
and for the Independence Day light show to begin. |
 |
| 15th Annual Cul-De-Sac of Fire of Meadowbrook. |
 |
| I got the kids seat. Needless to say, it wasn't long after I sat in it that it broke beyond repair. |
 |
| Enjoying fireworks at the Cul De Sac of Fire. McKenna was so kind to Dax. |
 |
Nobody's cuter than McKenna and she knows it. She sure was a
sweetie to Dax. Dax loved her. He referred to her as his "girlfriend". |
 |
| The following night, we watched fireworks again from our backyard. Here are Sarah and Dax. |
 |
We had a 180 degree view of fireworks around the valley. All from the
comfort of our hammocks. |
Steel Days Parade
We love living in out town of American Fork. It's really no longer a small town, but Steel Days seems to make it a bit smaller, if only for a few days. Soap Box Derby Race, Outdoor Concerts, Carnival and, of course, the Steel Days Parade. I'm not much of a parade person, but the last 3 years it has been fun to attend as Leah, who is a American Fork Caveman Cheerleader, is in the parade.
 |
The kids love going to the Steel Days Carnival. It is the actual carnival
used in the movie, Sandlot, so it's really about as Americana as you can get. |
 |
| Sarah's not a fan of the Ferris Wheel, but Dax is so she goes. |
 |
| Sarah is, however, a big fan of cotton candy so this isn't much of a sacrifice. |
 |
A family that eats crap (funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy and fries)
together, grows fat together. |
 |
When all was said and done, she didn't eat much of the apple. It was more of
a delivery system for the caramel. |
 |
| Leah was such a good big Sister to her little Brother on this adventure ride. |
 |
| Leah had a blast on this ride more than once. She is on the far left. |
 |
| Leah and I heading for the tree tops on the Ferris Wheel. |
 |
| Leah loves this ride, but it always seems like a rip. One ticket for one ride down. |
 |
Of course, Dax had to break the rules and go down unconventionally....more fun, I'm sure, but
still against the rules and unconventional. |
 |
| I've always said he's a little spacy. |
 |
| Leah, early morning before the parade. Unfortunately, their uniforms had not been delivered yet. |
 |
| Leah and a couple of her cheer teammates. |
 |
I realize I say this every year, but I'm grateful to be part of a community that
respects the law and the officers that enforce it. |
 |
| The Ukulele float. |
 |
We didn't get to see Leah do her routine. :( We got a few pics of her in the
back of a truck though. She loved throwing candy. |
 |
| Proud Mom and her little Caveman Cheerleader. |
 |
| Red, Black and White! Cavemen, FIGHT! |
 |
| Go Cavemen! Go Leah! |
 |
| Dax had a blast collecting all that candy! So did his cousins. |
 |
| Dax was not happy that I poured water on his head to keep him cool. |
We had a wonderful Independence Day and Steel Days week. We love America and we love American Fork. How cool is that...we get to celebrate our awesome country every time we celebrate our town. Go Cavemen! Go U.S.A.!
No comments:
Post a Comment