If you've never heard me boast of my in-laws, you just aren't listening. I am certainly one blessed man. Not only did I manage to hook the kindest, cutest, bestest wife on the entire planet, but she has an awesome family to boot. They are not without their issues, just as my family is not, but they are pretty dang amazing and I love every one of them.
We've built a tradition over the years of camping together every Summer. It started out us and Sarah's Sister's family (Molly, Duane and the boys), then shortly after the first year we expanded it to all of her family and it has been a fun trip that we look forward to every year. The first 3 years it was at Yuba Lake, here in Utah. Then we ventured to Star Valley Wyoming last year and this year we introduced the family to Mountain Valley Resort in Heber, Utah. Wherever we are is not so much the issue as we have fun together regardless of location. Here is the proof!
 |
The Wilson Family Clan
Back Row L to R: Molly, Duane, Josh, Marie, Me, Sarah, Mom and Dave
Front Row L to R: Jakey, Emerson, Cole, Leah, Elijah, Reagan and Dax |
One negative part of this particular year was that Sarah's Brother, Jake, wasn't able to participate much. Jake is a veteran and, although he never was injured in the line of duty, his service is finally taking its toll on his back. In fact, at the date of this trip, Jake was scheduled the following week for surgery. Unfortunately, his body couldn't endure much more so he was unable to participate in most of the activities. He was forced to spend much of the trip in their cabin and ultimately made a trip to the hospital to end the weekend. This is why he and Erin are not pictured with the group above. It was tough to see him in so much pain. Having been in such pain myself, I could see that it had reach an unbearable point with Jake and I felt bad there was nothing we could do. Duane, Dave and I were able to give Jake a blessing before Erin took him to the hospital where they were able to administer to the pain. Poor dude. Fortunately, he has since had a successful surgery and is well on his way to recovery.
 |
| Isn't she beautiful?! Aren't Costco cakes the bomb?! |
 |
| Somebody's older and wiser too! It's Sarah! |
We planned on celebrating Sarah's birthday with her family while we were camping. We forgot the cake, but luckily we were able to catch Erin and Jake on their way up just as they were passing the Costco where we had left it. Thanks, Erin and Jake! I wasn't able to celebrate Sarah's birthday as I was called away to search for our neighbor, Paul, who had gone missing. That made this evening one I would not forget. Ask me sometime and I'll tell you the story of my experiences that night. WHOA! This is not the place though. Happy Birthday, Sarah!
And now we interupt this blogpost to bring you Uncle Josh and Aunt Marie and their talent of making faces on stolen cameras...

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...
 |
| Some of the boys getting some naptime in with Grandpa Dave. |
We've been to the Mountain Valley RV Resort in Heber about 5 times now. We like it for a few different reasons: 1) We love Heber. It's a nice town with good people. Ever since we sold our cabin in Timberlake Estates, we've missed our weekend trips to the area. MVRR has helped us scratch that itch. 2) There are plenty of things to do in the area such as hiking, boating, fishing, animal sighting, and more. It's beautiful here. 3) With our trailer it's more like glamping than camping. In fact the resort's bathrooms are nicer than our own! The accommodations are new and well maintained and the staff is super friendly. Lastly and probably the biggest reason is the same reason why kids like going anywhere....THE POOL! The resort has a heated pool and the kids would never leave it if we let them. We knew their cousins would feel the same way.
 |
| Uncle Josh the seal doing tricks for a sardine. |
 |
Jake and Emerson both improved this weekend in their abilities and comfort
levels in the water. Here is Jake taking the dive. |
 |
| Here is Grandpa Dave coaching Emerson in the water. |
 |
| Looks like Uncle Josh caught himself a dork fish! Cole loves corn dogs! |
 |
In all the goofing off, Leah took one in the kisser. I don't see anything, but
she sure was fixated on it. She's a little waterbug. She loves to swim! |
 |
| Uncle Josh playing with Emerson while some dead fat guy floats on by. |
 |
| Elijah, Grandpa Dave, Jake and Cole simultaneously taking the plunge. |
 |
| You can't fake smiles like those! |
 |
| Cole showing off his spa foam goatee. |
A big reason why we bought our trailer was because of this annual outing we take with the Wilson Clan. It seemed that every year, regardless of how good the weather report said it was supposed to be, we'd get stormed out. Sleeping in the rain is one thing. In fact, I kind of like tenting it in the weather, but we couldn't really cook for the whole group when the wind is howling and the rain is falling. For that reason we had cut our trips short a couple times. I figured with the trailer, we would at least have a place to prepare and share meals. Of course, we've made good use of it and plan on continuing to do so.
 |
| Mom and Dave chilling in Coach. |
 |
The trailer is a novelty to the kids and it seems they always want to be in it.
This can be bothersome when there is a beautiful country right outside with
lots to do...why stay inside? |
 |
| Marie waiting on dinner. |
So, Leah has had a bike for a long time, but she hasn't really learned to ride it. Unfortunately, she's also had a crippled Dad that wasn't able to run alongside her to guide her as my Father had done for me as a child. Depressing, I know. :( So, this Summer, I have been slowly raising her training wheels so that she would, unknowingly, rely more and more on her own ability to balance as she rode. While we were at the RV park, Uncle Josh challenged Leah that he would buy her ice cream if she rode her bike without training wheels. Leah was confidently up for the challenge, unlike the many times before I had challenged her, but without ice cream. Uncle Josh removed the training wheels and Leah, without hesitation or trouble, rode off into the sunset as if she had been riding for decades. Uncle Josh made good on his side of the bargain and we are grateful for his prodding. She is a great rider.



One of the things we did as a group was go on a hike around Cascade Springs. Last year when we had come up with just our family, we noticed there were no trash cans and trash was scattered everywhere. It was very disappointing. I was disappointed in the hikers that left their trash and in the Parks service that didn't address the situation. So, the plan this year was to take the kids on a hike to enjoy the beauty of the area, but to also have them pic up trash. No need. The area was pretty clean. There still weren't any trash cans for public use, but there was a Park Ranger walking around so it had a positive effect. I know we have more pictures, but I don't know where they are. When I find them I'll add them.
After a hike in the heat of the day, we cooled off with some water activities at Deer Creek Reservoir. Uncle Josh and Aunt Marie rented a 2 man kayak and a SUP Board. Sarah and Molly brought rafts and everybody had a fun time. We even got Mom and Dave out on the SUP Board! Josh and Marie provided a great lunch shoreside. Thanks Josh and Marie!
 |
| Elijah row your boat ashore. Hallelujah! |
 |
| Dax and Dad hanging loose. |
 |
| Leah and Aunt Marie on the SUP Board |
 |
| Dave and Mom floating away. |
 |
Josh and Marie brought these tubes. We improvised with them as you can
see Uncle Duane and Elijah trying to maneuver around. Mostly they just
spun in circles. |
 |
| Leah and Mom. A winning combo! |
 |
| I'm not sure if Marie is picking lice out of Josh's beard or braiding it. |
 |
| Looks like a braid. Jakey gives it two enthusiastic thumbs up! |
 |
Poor Uncle Duane. The boys used him for everything. Everything was
powered by 1DP...1 Duane Power. |
 |
| Dax and Dad still hanging loose! |
 |
Leah managed to get everybody to paddle her around. Here is Aunt Erin
at the oars. Again, poor Jake couldn't really participate because of the pain. |
 |
If you've got to get to the other side, don't call Uber! Call Aunt Erin's
water taxi service! Dax did! |
 |
| Aunt Marie out on the SUP Board. |
And back to swimming!
 |
Dax loves jumping in the pool. For hours he would get out and jump in,
get out and jump in, get out and jump in...non-stop! I wish I had his energy. |
 |
| Baby Reagan loves swimming too! |
 |
| Dax and Dad going for a ride and a scoot. |
 |
| A little mealtime Uke music. Breakfast on our last day. |
 |
The kids patiently waiting for breakfast as they contemplate their fun weekend
coming to an end. |
 |
| My little Wahine. |
 |
| Breakfast! Josh, Marie, Cole and Duane chowing down. |
 |
Dave, Mom, Jake and Erin. This is one of the few times we saw Jake and the
last. Well, not the last, last, but the last time of the trip. It was at this point
that his pain increased to the point of being unbearable. |
 |
| Cousins who camp together stay together. Dax, Cole, Leah and Elijah. |
 |
| Emerson getting his grub on. I swear that's more food than I ate that whole day! |
 |
| Molly and Duane. |
 |
| We just ate and I think we have something in our teeth. |
 |
| Sunshine, a Uke, slippahs and a beach cruiser. You know I'm happy. |
 |
Sarah and Baby Reagan. After giving Jake a blessing, Erin took him to the
hospital nearby. We watched Baby Reagan until Erin returned. |
Last year for Christmas, Sarah made each of us matching shirts that said, "Wilson Family. Happy Campers. "Don't Eat My Chips!" The "Don't eat my chips", is a quote from our last year's campout when Emerson exclaimed in a very loud and animated way, "Don't Eat My Chips!" when one of his brothers was stealing a chip or two. It struck us all as funny and we kept repeating it throughout the trip. It kind of became our own little inside joke.
I really am blessed. When you marry the girl, like it or not, you marry the family. I know I could have done a lot worse, but could I have done better?! I think not. Until next year, Happy Camping from the Wilson Clan!
 |
| A family that makes goofy faces together, stays together. |
 |
The Reeds: The Ijah, Coley Oley Ole, Jake the Snake, Aunt Molly, Stinky
and Uncle Duane |
 |
| I love it when these two show love for each other. |
 |
| Cousins should be close friends. I'm glad this group is. |
No comments:
Post a Comment