On Valentine's Day in the year 1929, The South Side Italian Gang led by Al Capone massacred eight members of The North Side Irish Gang led by Bugs Moran. Capone's gang dressed as cops and arrested the Irish gang members, led them to a garage, lined them against the wall and brutally murdered the unarmed men. Upon finding the massacred gang members, a nearly dead victim was asked, "Who shot you" to which he replied, "Nobody shot me"...in spite of the 14 bullet holes.
That is not the Valentine's Massacre I am referring to. I love my wife and I hope she knows it. I am fairly certain she does. I regret to admit that I am not the most romantic guy, or so she says. I apparently lack romanticism. I didn't used to...I used to be quite the creative romantic. With that said, I buy her flowers at least a dozen times a year, I buy her gifts and take her to nice restaurants. Those things all seem romantic...don't they? Nonetheless, I know what she means and I have resigned myself to the fact that I am not that romantic.
Or am I? I love Pooh. I love her dearly. I have put much thought recently into the debate of whether I am or not romantic. I believe I am. I just show it in different ways. I will do anything I need to in order to provide for her and The Lou. Isn't that romantic. I take my role as their provider and protector very seriously and I do well at it. It is not by chance that they never go without; it is by design and the result of hard work and effort. Is that not romantic? I want nothing more in the world than her happiness and want to do that which I can to see her happy.
Pooh is an magnificent Wife and a wonderful Mother to The Lou. This Valentine's Day we will probably not do anything too surprising or romantic. Dinner, Chick Flick, games and a gift. Some may consider that The Valentine's Day Massacre, but I hope she knows I am happy to call her "My Valentine" the last ten years and for the eternities to come.
3 comments:
Very well written and expressed. I think you are both an awesome couple and family. Keep that love alive and those written expressions coming. It is great for all of us to do a reality check now and then on our own relationships. We all can do better! Thanks for sharing. I must ponder about my very own "Valentine" as well.
This conversation is had in homes all over the world. My husband is even less romantic than you so for me you are on the winning end of the battle. But over the years of girl talks I have determined there is more to romance than what you get it's what you do. The things I hear that woman love the most is doing the dishes, making the bed, little love notes just because, a hot bubble bath because it was a long day. But these things have to come when we need it most. I say this because the woman who's husband always does the dishes doesn't appreciate it as much as the woman whose husband never does. The woman whose husband carries her to bed every night because she falls asleep on the couch watching tv doesn't quite get that that is not something every man does. So I guess I should make my point. What I find after years of bailing husbands out (on the sly I might add) is that it boils down to them paying attention to what their wife needs when she needs it. I find it so funny that at first the husbands are like no way that's not going to work and every time it does. Like the wife who wanted a date night her husband thought done quick dinner and chick flick (just for her), not. For this wife a perfect night out woulda been a night at a used book store talking to her husband and looking for those much loved reads. Much cheaper and the conversation woulda have made her night. So my best advice to all my men friends (and they never seem to get it but I have hope in you) is listen pay attention we always tell you exactly what we want just not straight out. We are woman we like to keep you guessing. ;0) Then again I could be completely off base who knows you can only try.
I was just having this conversation with my running buddy. She told me that there is a book about there are 3 different kinds of people and how they give. (I hope I can get this right - I'm going to ask her the name of the book because I want to read it for myself.) ANyway, it basically said that most people give the kind of gifts they want to recieve. One type is the person who likes to spend time and have quality time. A second type is the one who likes the material gift. And I can't remember the third. So Tim likes to spend money on me and buy me nice gifts becuase that is what he would want. I like to make him gifts and spend time with him because that is what I would want. Now if we can just get our acts together and do what each other wants - life would be easier wouldn't it?
Post a Comment