
Everyone that knows me, knows I don't have a great memory. But on occasion, I have some trivial memories that are sparked by some new experience; some new event that resembles my past in some way, shape or form. Lately, I have been obsessed with Beach Cruisers.
Still today, one of my most favorite things to do in life is people watching. Even when I was younger I enjoyed people watching. Life is filled with interesting characters and, without saying a word, they each have their own story. There are few better places to take them all in than at the beach and there are few better ways to do it than on a beach cruiser riding up and down the boardwalk. I did so and became quite talented at riding with my board...Kids these days have it easier as they now have racks for them.

When I was younger, long before I had a license to drive (or crash), I got around on the beach cruiser. I don't think it was even mine! I think it was my friend's Brother-in-law or Sister. Anyway, the beach cruiser took me to the Whimpy's hamburger joint to get a bite to eat, it took me to the beach to surf or people watch, it took me to Pasha Liquor to get some wax, it took me everywhere.

Sometimes it took two of us wherever we needed to go. I remember one time my Brother (I think it was my Brother, Jim...I could be wrong) was riding on the handlebars when an "Officer Friendly" (not an adjective, but his actual name) pulled us over on the bike to give us a ticket for unsafe riding. I love that memory...even if it is broken a bit.

Anyway, our family reunion was in May and it was in Oceanside. I sooooooo yearned to ride the beach cruiser up and down the beach. I asked Sarah if she wanted to rent a bike and I got a most peculiar look such as to say, "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?!" I immediately dropped the subject.

Upon our return, I saw a neighbor riding her new shiny pink beach cruiser up our street (You know who you are) and it again made me nostalgic for the one speed bike with wide handlebars and bubble tires. When we went on our vacation to Yosemite, you could rent beach cruisers to ride around the valley. I again asked Sarah if she would consider it. After hours of hiking her response was quick to the lips, "No".

I want to get one. I want to get one for Sarah. What a great memory it is; my beach cruiser and me. Maybe it is better to leave well enough alone and just be grateful that I have that memory...one of only a few.

Maybe this would be a fun beach cruiser for Leah and me!
1 comment:
I'm pretty sure you had a beach cruiser of your own. I remember shopping for them and buying one. I don't think it was for Jim and Scott I think it was yours. I remember Jim wanted a racier bike, and Scott's favorite bike was a mountain bike.
Post a Comment