Weight loss is a difficult thing. I've not tried it often or for long, but I've known many who have and I've witnessed their plight. I myself have only seriously tried to lose weight twice in my life, well, now three times. I'm a learner and I've learned as I've witnessed my own trial with weight and the trials of others. In fact, it seems that those who struggle to lose weight, do so their entire lives. Even my own two experiences levied the same results.
My first two times putting forth a serious effort to lose weight, resulted in immediate results followed by a slow to rapid slide backwards wherein I gain all the weight back and sometimes more. I learned two important things in those two experiences as well as watching others fight their weight loss battles.
1) I think the first important key I realized was that it was going to require patience if I was to reach my ultimate weight goal. We've become a "micro-wave" society, one that wants and expects immediate results and abandons our goals when those results are not realized. I didn't balloon from 215 to 315 in 3 to 12 months, so how reasonable is it for me to expect to drop from 315 to 215 in that same period of time? Patience has to be the key.
2) Any changes made in my diet would have to be something I could do long term and forever rather than for a short period of time. Nothing against fad diets or those that require major overhauls to eating habits, but I've learned they are not for me. Same goes for surgeries and crazy exercise programs. Again, the results may come, but are they the results that will remain after abandoning the changes made in order to achieve those results? My experience is no.
I think some of the diets that work for others might yield long term results if a disciplined regiment of exercise can be installed as a way to maintain the achieved success. Unfortunately, I have the extra obstacle of, not one, but three types of arthritis. I've managed to get on the treadmill from time to time, but often the result is a day to three days in bed afterward. It's a bit counterproductive. Exercise is currently off the table for the most part.
I finally got serious about weight loss, this time (and hopefully the last) back in December of 2013. I had reached my highest weight yet. 315 L-B's! I was huge! It didn't bother me too much. I had become used to it. I've been a big guy my entire life, even when I was at my most fit, I was a big guy. I'm just built that way. My wife loves me for who I am and I don't think it bothers her at all that I am a big guy. I have a very healthy self image and I know my worth. It only slightly suffers as a result of my weight and size. I've even gotten used to being lectured about my weight by the doctor every time I visit. Truthfully, I never really felt it was important for me to lose weight. I love me regardless of how much I weigh and I'm pretty sure everybody else does too.
Anyways, we were visiting my family in Southern California for Christmas of 2013. It was Christmas Eve and we were staying at my brother's house. I was getting in a late night shower in between the Christmas Eve festivities and Christmas Day celebrating. That's when it hit me, mid shampoo...I was surprised with a piercing pain in my chest and left arm. I thought I was having a heart attack. At very best it was an anxiety attack of sorts, but this felt different. Whether or not it was a heart attack, it's now history and not important. After talking myself through it and finally relaxing, I made a decision there and then that I needed to come up with a plan that would work for me and help me to be around a lot longer than it seemed at the moment.
The following month after that episode I spent many hours considering options and evaluating why weight loss is such an elusive goal and why permanent weight loss was even more elusive. That's when I recognized the 2 keys I previously mentioned. Obviously, I needed to make a change or else I'd be pushing up daisies too soon, but what changes could I make that I would be willing to make forever; what changes were reasonable and obtainable. Once I came up with a game plan regarding those changes, I then set a reasonable time frame in which I could achieve my weight loss goal. Lastly, I determined I would begin after my birthday, the first week of February.
So, on the Monday after my birthday, I weighed myself and began my journey. I was starting off at 315 pounds. The 315 pounds I brought to the table at this point made me much larger than any previous time weighing just as much. After losing weight and gaining it back a couple times, it seemed my girth had outgrown my weight. Anyway, at 315 my goal was to lose 100 lbs in 5 years. I figured it took me 20 years to put it on, it was still a worthwhile goal to lose it in 5.
My plan is not scientific, but it's working for me. Here is what I came up with though I'll spare you the reasoning behind each point:
1) No soda.
2) No fast food.
3) No sweets.
4) Only eat when I'm hungry.
5) When you have the cravings, fight them. When you don't, don't sweat it and cheat a little...a little.
6) Free days are a must.
7) Forgive yourself. If you slip and fall. Get back to it with minimal delay.
8) Don't let my physical handicaps win. Always push back and through the pain.
9) In a few words, be aware, be committed and be patient.
I slip a lot, but all in all, I'm doing better than I was in January of 2014 and the results are motivating. I am now 2 years and 5 months into this and as of Monday I am down 59 pounds with 41 to go in 2 years and 7 months. I realize I am still fat and still not where I need to be, but the most exciting part of this is that I don't feel like I am dieting and I feel that the results will continue to come and will stick this time around. 59 POUNDS! I'm stoked! I still need to keep on keepin' on!
Support is important too though. So important. I know from previous efforts. When others notice your weight loss and tell you, their compliments and praise are fuel to keep up the fight. The recognition of others is a compelling force to keep going so as to, A) keep the praise coming, and B) not appear to be a quitter. I've seen so many friends who are currently doing phenomenal things in the area of weight loss and it's exciting to see them do so, but I know it's hard so I am always looking for those who are fighting the fight so that I can offer a word of encouragement and hope to do my part in helping them in their efforts.
The tough part for me in my game plan to lose the weight slowly, steadily and permanently is that the weight loss is not as recognizable to others and therefore, if it goes unnoticed, it goes uncommented on. I miss that fuel for my fight. I've found other motivating factors. I've found excitement in moving the notches on my belt further down the line and even more excitement when it comes time to drill new holes. I've found absolute pleasure in buying jeans and shorts that are 4 inches smaller in the waist than they were in Feb of 2014 and even more pleasure in realizing that they are starting to fit more comfortably. I've found great satisfaction in saying "no" to cravings and extra helpings. That being said, it is nice to be at a weight that others are starting to realize. I don't want to say I'm fishing for compliments, but they do help to motivate.
So, for those who are out there wanting to lose weight, know that you have in me a cheerleader. Also know that it will be hard, but it will be worth it. Give yourself the appropriate time to get it done in a healthy and maintainable manner. Forgive yourself when you slip, but don't throw in the towel. Most of all, do it for reasons other than your self worth. Know that you are loved and treasured by your family and friends and most importantly, your creator, know matter how you look.
I don't know if I will publish this post, but I had to write it. I'm excited for my results and it's important to me. I hope it results in a longer life for my kids. I love them too much to abandon them before I have a chance to embarrass them in front of their prom dates.
| This is me at 295 lbs in 2010. 20 lbs shy of my largest. I chose this pic because I know I still have this shirt and can take a comparable picture. |

No comments:
Post a Comment