Monday, January 16, 2017

C'est Si Great To Be 8!

Leah Is Eight?!  Where Has the Time Gone?!
 
Sigh. 
 
It's a tricky thing watching your daughter get older and progress through life.  One moment, you recognize she is growing up and acting older and the next moment she is acting like a child below her age.  I can only imagine how confused I must make her.  When she seems to be growing up, I quickly remind her that she needs to slow down and not grow up so quickly.  Moments later, when she is acting childish, I demand she "grow up!"  I probably sound crazy to her...truthfully, I am a bit crazy.  Sometimes I completely enjoy seeing her grow up and getting smarter, wiser and more mature while other times it makes me deeply saddened that she is growing up.  What's a Dad to do?!
 
Birthdays are a big deal to 1 of us, us being Sarah and I.  I'll let you guess which.  I have never cared much about birthdays, but Sarah LIVES for celebrating birthdays.  This is good if you're one of our kids.  The concept of buying and wrapping a gift and then having a cake is a lost concept in our house.  Everything is on steroids.  Everything is themed and every angle contributes to that theme.  The kids love it and Sarah loves doing it.  This year, however, with Leah turning 8 and taking into account her upcoming baptism (see future posts), Sarah decided to forego the huge birthday celebration.  After all, Leah would have a big celebration on her baptism day and she really doesn't need two...or does she? 
 
With a week and a half to spare, Sarah threw together a Parisienne Art themed party for Leah's birthday.  In truth, it was toned down significantly.  There were no French mimes, nor was there a build your own crepe bar.  But there was face painting, hair styling, painting and, of course, presents, cake and ice cream.  She loves her children and these parties are just one way in which she lets her love shine for them.  Leah had a blast and the world didn't fall off it's axis as a result of not having a party...in short, Sarah saved the world...as far as Leah sees it. 
 
Leah is such an impressive little girl.  She is all girl too.  So sensitive and soft.  She is caring of everybody and sure to shed a tear if somebody is hurting or sad.  She understands deeply and is always trying to make her Mom and Dad proud of her and her decisions.  When she makes a poor decision, she will often punish herself more in her mind and soul than we ever could by any other means.  She is smart and she is beautiful.  Her potential is limitless and I worry she doesn't understand that.  She is not perfect, but she is perfectly herself.  What a wonderful little person she is and it overwhelms me to think that she was entrusted to me.  Such a huge task to be given such a fine clay to be molded.  I pray I'm up to the task and I'm grateful Sarah is worthy of such a task. 
 
Happy Birthday, Leah Lou!  I love you!
 
The morning kicked off with Leah's favorite, Chocolate Chip pancakes with
whipped cream!
 
Dax loves celebrating Leah's birthdays with sugary pancakes too.

 

Of course it wouldn't be a Paris themed anything without way too many Eiffel Towers.

I'm not sure if Leah was more excited about Le Salon or L'Art.




French women wish they were this beautiful!

That smile is a major source to my glee.
 
Salon De Paris
 


 
 
Paris Street Artists



 
 
Mes Amis!
 
Leah and Margot are besties and they refer to themselves as sisters. 





Erin and her mini-me

Aunt Kate and Reagan the pumpkin girl.
 
Ice Cream Cake and Presents!
 
Sarah made Leah an awesome ice cream cake with Cotton Candy flavored
ice cream and an oreo cookie crust, then topped with chocolate sauce and
sprinkles. 



Leah was way too spoiled, but she was very grateful for everything she got.


This girl is nuts about Pistachios!

Art Books!  How appropriate!



 
The next day, for her birthday, Leah got to visit one of her favorite people in the entire world.
Of course, Caitlin, Nancy, Oma, Tom and Annika always spoil her and Dax rotten.  Today
was no different. 

All in all, it was a great birthday.  NOW STOP GROWING UP SO DARN FAST!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

What a fun party it was. Leah really is an amazing little girl!