Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Summer Lovin'

"Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August."
~ Jenny Han
 
Summer is magical for sure.  Here are some of the fun and magical things that happened to us this Summer:
 
SCHOOLS OUT * Tomoe and Miyo's visit from Japan * CASCADE SPRINGS * Hawai'ian Shave Ice * FATHER'S DAY * Sand Hollow Reservoir * ST. GEORGE * Zion National Park * CAMPING WITH JIM, SAMANTHA, HAILEY, MADYSON & GRANDMA * Visit from the VanBuskirk Family from Arizona * INDEPENDENCE DAY * American Fork Steel Days * CHEERLEADING * Parade * CUL-DE-SAC OF FIRE * BBQ w/Hopkins & Valderramas * OUTDOOR CONCERT @ AF AMPITHEATER * Swimming * SHUFFLEBOARD * Nights out with Friends * DADDY-DAUGHTER SKATE N DATE * Sarah's Birthday * FAMILY SKATE * Wilson Family Campout * BEAUTY AND THE BEAST * Southern California * PRATT'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY * Jim and Samantha Trosper Family Sealing * SAN DIEGO TEMPLE * Swimming with Cousins * PLANES of FAME MUSEUM * Heumann's 50th Anniversary * School Started * FOOTBALL SEASON BEGINS * Annacortes, WA Trip Snafu * MOUNTAIN VALLEY RESORT * Swimming...Lots and Lots of Swimming * Deer Creek Reservoir * WEIGHT LOSS CONTEST * Outdoor Grilling * SCOTTISH FESTIVAL AND HIGHLAND GAMES * Cousins Days of Fun * MADYSON's VISITS * Card Games with Grandma and Grandmama * LUNAR ECLIPSE * Leah Learned to Ride Her Bike * YARD WORK * Dr. Seussical Musical * SPLASH PADS GALORE and more!
 
Some of these events warranted their own post, but all were an important part of an active and fun Summer.  It wasn't all fun and games, we had struggles with health, difficulty balancing fun while managing a business, and other trials of those close to us.  All in all though, we recognize we are blessed and we are so happy to be in our little family unit. 
 
 
The Payson Highland Games were packed this year. 

"Touch Not The Cat But A Glove"  Translation.  Mess with us, you're gonna' get scratched!






Me and the kids taking in some of the strong man contests.


For years, I've wanted to put a shuffleboard in this spot.  It is the only thing
that made sense for that space.  I finally pulled the trigger and got one.

The only one in our family that is any good at this sport is Sarah.  She has a
knack for any form of shuffleboard. 





Sarah turned 29 again this year.  Her Sister, Molly took her to get her feet
spoiled.  The two of them also went to see ABBA.



For Sarah's Mother's Day Present, I sent her and Molly to see an ABBA
cover band. 


Here are the kids with a special cake they baked at Grandma Leslie's house
for their Mother's
 


Sarah's birthday breakfast request, Pain Perdu with fresh fruit and buttermilk
syrup. 


The one upside to being laid up with an arthritis flare up is being able to force
myself to chill out and watch old surf flicks. 



Dax got his first daily chore this Summer, other than cleaning his room.  His
chore is to set the table.  I've been trying to teach him to set each setting the
same and to pay attention to the detail.  When I wasn't paying attention, he
thought outside the box and set the table this way.  It is a bit unorthodox, but
he did make sure each setting was done the same way. 


On Leah's Day Of Fun at her Aunt Molly's house, she made a hat for me.  It
is now my "lawn mowing hat".  If I am discovered to be mowing without it,
Leah will remind me. 

This Summer Leah has grown up a bit.  She has shown big strides in every area of life;
reading, piano, cheer, chores, compassion, consideration and being a big Sister. 

Chasing down parachute men around 4th of July

I only buy sparklers and snakes because that is what I like.  ;)

Sarah's Birthday falls on the 24th of July which is Pioneer Day, a state holiday in Utah.  I
try to convince her every year that I arranged the parades and fireworks statewide for her
special day.  She doesn't buy it. 


Leah learned how to ride her bike this Summer.  She had training wheels for
a long time and I kept raising them so she would eventually not need them.
While we were camping, her Uncle Josh promised her a box of ice cream cones
if she could ride without the training wheels.  She didn't even hesitate.  Josh
took off the wheels and she was off!

I don't have many pictures of our visit to Roger and Judy Heumann's 50th
Anniversary party.  Sad.  I always have such a fun time with the Heumann
family.  They make me feel special and they are such good and fun people.
Here I am with Heidi Heumann Rivera.  These events are always fun to see
so many people from my past that mean so much to me.  Happy Anniversary
Roger and Mama Judy!  Great party, Heidi!

The Heumann's have always loved Sarah so much.  I remember the first time
I took her to their house before we were married and they soon after told me
they knew she was "the one" and told me how stupid I would be if I didn't
snatch her up right away. 

We got to witness the Solar Eclipse.  From our perspective, we were able to
see a 92% eclipse which was pretty neat. 



While we were visiting Southern California, we sent Marley to Jake and
Erin's house, aka "The Farm".  They took good care of her and she took good
care of their sticks. 

Looked who knocked on our door this Summer, Elder Westphal (right).  He is
the Son of my longtime friend, Carl Westphal. 



These two are frustrating to watch in the pool.  One minute they're playing so
nicely together and the next they're fighting and/or whining about the other.








When we were not off doing this or that, we would likely be found in the
backyard in our little blow up pool.  We're all anxious to get a real in ground
pool sometime in the next couple years. 


One thing we don't get enough pictures of is how much time we spend with
my Mom and my Grandma.  We see them often; whether it's for dinner here
or their place, or just to play cards or whether we're helping them around their
house or they're watching our kids.  We see them often and we're blessed to
have them close. 

I was spoiled for Father's Day.  First breakfast on the back patio...Donuts,
bagels, grapes, eggs, bacon, Dr. Pepper, Chocolate Milk, Presents and my
kids.  Happy Father's Day to me!

As always, my favorite part of gifts is the cards. 

Sorry if you can't read this, I couldn't figure out how to turn these around. 
Leah thinks I'm 38 years old, 10.8 lbs, 8' tall, with turquoise eyes, likes
Hawaiian Food, writes policy for work and that my favorite things to do is
make books with Leah and that she is funny.

Dax thinks I'm 8 years old, 100 lbs, 10' tall, with green eyes, like soup and
my favorite things are playing trucks with Dax and his kisses.  :)

Sarah and the kids gave me a glider sofa for the patio and two hanging chair
hammocks.


I also got a mixed cd of music (another fave) and a can of Reisen Chocolates...
each one wrapped in a paper explaining a reason why they love me.  :)



Sarah getting her 8 wheel groove on!

 


 

Enjoying the hammocks on a warm July night with fireworks all around.

Of course it wouldn't be Summer without several trips to the Shiver Shak for
some Hawaiian Shave Ice.



 

Now that school is back in, Marley is sad.  Poor Marley.

Until Next Summer, we'll cherish the memories of this one.  

1 comment:

Leslie said...

what a fun fun summer.