Well, it's the 2nd week of January and I'm trying. I've already given up on losing weight and I've already maxed my new monthly budget, so that means my only other resolution that has a chance of survival is this blog. I've vowed to catch up my blog and stay on top of it better for 2019. As I catch up, I won't share many thoughts, but it will be more of a place to store my pictures. I don't know why I explain this as it is only my Mom that ever visits. Thanks, Mom. I love you. Well, here is Fall!
PUMPKIN DAY!!!!
I know Autumn officially starts Sept 21st, but in our house, it feels like October 1st is the official kick off to Fall. Why? That is Pumpkin Day. What is Pumpkin Day, you ask? It's a holiday Sarah has made up wherein we go get pumpkins as a family. It's a fun day for activities, pictures, hot cocoa and, you guessed it....PUMPKINS!!!!
Fall Soccer!!!
Dax joined North Utah County Soccer with his teammates from AF Rec. This year they are "The Champions". Personally, I liked last year's name better. They are in the Under 7 age group, but most of them wouldn't even turn 6 until after the season. This left them as the team with a ton of heart, but no wins to accompany it. They had fun, but were clearly outsized and out experienced. It's a two season league, so we expect more of the same in Spring, but I'm sure they will continue to improve. They are a hoot to watch though.
![]() |
| Nobody on the field is as much of a character as this guy. I think that says a lot, because Dax's teammates are all characters. |
![]() |
| There aren't many places as beautiful as the Wasatch front in Fall to play a game of soccer. |
![]() |
| Dax purposely left his drawstring out. He says it is important to do so in order to tell how fast he is going as it flies in the wind. HAHA! |
LAGOON!!!!
Sarah and the kids go to Lagoon in Northern Utah about two to three times a Summer. I haven't been since I was 12. For Leah's birthday, rather than a birthday party, she wanted to go to Lagoon. As it ended up, I was super busy with work that week and it looked like I couldn't go. Leah was very disappointed and told me that her main reason for asking for Lagoon rather than a birthday party is because she wanted me to go with them. I really shouldn't have gone, but I realized that the entire reason for getting into insurance was to enjoy the autonomy I had come to appreciate the last 15 years at my previous job. What good was the change if I didn't take advantage of that?! So, I went. I paid the price the rest of the week, but I went and I had a blast.
Dax was too short to ride many of the rides so we split up quite a bit; me with Dax and the more adventurous Sarah with the even more adventurous Leah. For this reason there aren't more pictures of Sarah. She was there and we had a fun time together as a family. I really liked Lagoon. My expectations were low and they were amply surpassed.
![]() |
| It was October when we went so the Halloween sets and spooks were out in full force. |
![]() |
| I really enjoyed hanging out with Dax. He's a fun kid. I refer to him as my best bud and I really consider him to be so. He's a handful, but I love it. |
![]() |
| Dax and Leah trick or treating in Old Town. |
![]() |
| Dax met this cute girl in line for the car ride and offered her a ride. She was immediately in love with him. I think it was the moustache. |
![]() |
| We capped the day and night off with a family old timey picture. It was well worth it. |
KARATE!!!!
![]() |
| Leah all locked up and focusing like a black belt. |
![]() |
| Leah practicing at home. |
![]() |
| Such concentration. Tongue hanging out and all. |
![]() |
| Work has been so busy and that is a great blessing. There was a down day or two so I rearranged my home office. |
One of our favorite family meals is "Make Your Own Pizza Night"
Halloween
Everybody in our house loves Halloween. Except me that is. I am not a fan. Not at all. I will admit that I am a fan of my family being a fan of Halloween. It's fun to watch them get excited about it and dress up. I'm happy to just watch and not participate. This year, Leah was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, Dax was Blue from Jurassic World and Sarah was a Unicorn. I dressed up like a grumpy old man known as Marque.
![]() |
| Hottest little Unicorn ever! |
![]() |
| We made and decorated Halloween cookies for our cousins in CA with Uncle Jim, Aunt Sam and cousin Madyson. |
![]() |
| We took the kids out for some Chinese at Water Moon. They loved it! |
![]() |
| We went to Madyson's dental assisting school graduation. Congrats, Mad Dawg! |
Leaf Raking!!!!
One Saturday this Autumn, Sarah went with her Sister, Sisters-in-law and my Mom to a weekend of Time Out For Women. I don't know what that is, but as far as I can tell, the women pay a lot of money to go someplace all weekend to cry then eat and then cry again. They also get a cool bag. While Sarah was gone, the kids and I raked leaves.
![]() |
| American Fork Gothic |
![]() |
| They did a great job. Leah moreso than Dax. Dax was more interested in spreading leaves where Leah had already raked. |
![]() |
| After working so hard, Dax got a treat. I don't know if any of it got in his face, but it certainly got all over his face. |
![]() |
| We stopped a moment in Mid-November to remember my Dad on the anniversary of his death. We remembered him by having his favorite dessert, cheesecake. |
![]() |
| Here is my cheesecake with the Gratitude Pumpkin in the background. If you don't know what the Gratitude Pumpkin is, you can read about it here. |
Dax's Birthday!
For Dax's birthday this year he wanted an Uhstruction Party which loosely translates to a Construction Party. Why? He has these 4 orange cones that he wanted to use. This kid cracks me up. He ended up having three little parties; One with the Aunts, Uncles and Cousins...another with his friends...and a third one with Grandma because she was gone during the other one and the Ashbys. As always, thanks to everybody that always shows our family and our children such love and support.
![]() |
| Dax and his buddy, Linus. |
![]() |
| We went with Joe and Brenda to see Jimmy Buffett in concert. Usually we have to venture to Las Vegas to get our Buffett on, but for some reason he came to us this time. |
Child Abduction Prevention
In insurance and real estate as well as several other businesses, they often have a customer appreciation day. They're always fun and I appreciate them, but as I worked with Leah on her Karate, I got the idea of doing something of a little more substance, so I offered to my customers the chance to bring their kids to a Child Abduction Prevention course. The kids learned some basic techniques to keep them safe from harm and how to get themselves out of harm should they find themselves in it. We had about 25 kids in all and it was well received. At the end of the course, the kids got to eat pizza and break a board with their newly acquired self defense skills. Next year I plan on doing the same thing, but it will be an Anti-Bullying course. A special thanks to Bobby Lawrence Karate Studio in American Fork for their help and assistance in making this such a success.
![]() |
| The kids in attention listening to their instructor |
![]() |
| Aurora addressing the board and ready to break it. Her Father, Ben, holding it steady. |
![]() |
| Dax, A superhero in training, showing off his wicked awesome board breaking effects. |
So, Fall was great. It was just what we needed to get ready for the chaos ahead...Winter!
























































































1 comment:
As always well done. I live seeing pictures already seen as well as new ones. Seeing your journal and memories is always fun. Do you still keep photos in albums as well?<
Post a Comment