Sometimes blogging is a difficult task to keep up on. Then, when you finally get around to it, the emotion attached to the event being blogged about has passed...along with the details, memories and significant points. Sigh. Then I find myself blogging about the event anyway simply a way to document the pictures in hopes that one day a picture might spark a memory or thought.
I spent two weeks in Colorado for an extensive commercial lines insurance class. I know, exciting, right? Surprisingly, it was not as boring as I had anticipated. The instructors made the class as entertaining as one can with that subject matter and, for the most part, my attention was theirs. The courses were at times difficult to stay in tune with, but that had a lot to do with so much going on outside of class; work, Mom moving, Grandma moving, Leah's cheer competition, Leah's birthday, Aunt Kathy's health, cleaning, repairing, painting, advertising, showing and renting one of our rental units, etc.
All that being said, I learned a lot, made a few friends, gained some confidence, networked and came out further than when I had entered. I passed all my tests with an average of 88%. I realized I still hate tests and studying, but I still like to learn. I learned that I am not programmed to be without my sidekick, Sarah. I went excited to experience new restaurants and places, but once I got there I found myself unenthusiastic about dining alone and opted to order pizza and eat inside the hotel every night.
I had anticipated visiting a bunch of family while in the area, but after 8 hours a day of reading, dissecting and discussing legal documents every day, all week only to go to the hotel and work until 11pm, my brain was fried and my desire to socialize was diminished. I felt bad that I didn't get to visit my cousins and friends, but I hope they understand. I did manage early on a visit with our friends the Alcantaras. That was fun.
In the middle of the trip I managed to force myself out of the house, got in the car and just drove. I found myself in Colorado Springs so I visited the much touted "Garden of the Gods". I had always wanted to visit there. It was disappointing. Coming from Utah's Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef National Parks, I found Garden of the Gods to be not nearly as wonderful. There are a handful of beautiful rock formations surrounded by thousands of cars and that about sums it up. I did manage a brief hike to get away from the masses and that was nice.
On the way home I found an awesome little town called Central City. The 70 was shut down and traffic backed up for miles so GPS told me of a little drive around the traffic that would take me 10 miles out of the way. I figured it was better to drive and explore a little out of the way than it was to sit in stopped traffic so off I went by way of Central City. What a pretty drive and cool little town. The mines I saw along the way were fascinating too. I will admit it is a drive not really suited for a Mercedes sedan as half the trip was off road, but the Benzo survived and we came out a little further ahead than we would have been had I stayed in traffic and that is the most important thing to me. After two weeks away from those I love the most, I was anxious to get back. Even if it meant four wheeling in a luxury sedan over rock and dirt to get there 15 minutes earlier.
![]() |
| The Alcantara Family |
![]() |
| Hiking alone is good for one's soul, but when it comes to traveling in general, I missed my traveling partner. |























1 comment:
I loved Garden of the Gods when i was a young Coloradoan. Also one of my favorite places to visit was central city. Quaint and old, even when i was a kid.
Post a Comment