When I was a youth, our family would take in foreign exchange students from visiting countries, like Japan or Germany. I'm not sure how keen I was back then to the whole idea, but I remember being dragged around to different activities and places and I remember feeling the weight of being an ambassador of my country to these foreign visitors. As a teenager, I'm sure I would have rather been elsewhere. I don't know if I gave it much of a chance, but who can remember that far back. I'm old!
Our first exchange students were the most memorable. In fact, I don't know if I can name any of the others that visited, but I do remember Tomoe Uranishi and Mikiko Morimoto. Flash forward 30 years, and with the help of facebook, my family is still in touch with at least Tomoe. We were fortunate this Summer to have been visited by Tomoe and her daughter Miyo. I may not have been too keen on the idea in the past, but I am grateful for their recent visit in the present. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with them and the time was simply not enough. We would have enjoyed having them stay longer if they could have.
I didn't get many pics of their visit and that is too bad. One pic in particular that I feel bad about not getting, is of the many gifts they brought us from Japan. To quote Kramer, "The Japanese are known as gift givers". That proved true. They were so gracious to have brought us gifts that Tomoe made herself as well as many store bought items and my favorite, a wide array of Japanese snacks and candies. They also brought me some Japanese BBQ sauce! I felt bad that we had not bought them any gifts, but we did try to make them feel special by having an American themed BBQ at our home and tried to help them feel at home.
Here are a few pics of their visit:
 |
Mom and Grandma picked up Tomoe and Miyo at the SLC airport for the first
leg of their trip to America. |
 |
Our family and Miyo. We took Tomoe and Miyo on a drive through our canyon and for a
short hike through Cascade Springs. |
 |
| Grandma, Leah and Miyo at Cascade Springs. |
 |
Leah absolutely loved Tomoe and Miyo. She learned so much about Japanese
culture such as how to fold origami, how to write her name in Japanese (two
different alphabets), how to play Japanese games and more. She loved their
visit. Miyo even let Leah use her nice camera all day as we hiked. |
 |
| The whole group. Mom, Leah, Dax, Miyo, Tomoe, Me, Dax and Sarah. |
 |
| Cascade Springs, UT |
 |
| Us on a bridge over troubled water. |
 |
Miyo says, "Peace". I had fun teasing Miyo and Tomoe. I told them the
mountains in America are filled with ferocious Grizzly Bear, but then promised
to protect them and showed them my pistol. I had to propagate the image
that all American's were gun toting cowboys. ;) |
 |
Dax wanted to feel how cold the water was. The poor water flow of this stream
reminded me of the stream in "Robin Hood ~ Men In Tights" wherein Robin
and Little John fought over a toll to cross the bridge over it. |
 |
Tomoe didn't want to be in any photos. She did a pretty good job of avoiding
the camera...except this time. |
 |
| Tomoe loves Daxalicious.com. He loves her back. |
 |
| Their time here was too short. The kids were very sad to see them go. |
 |
| Miyo was so touched when Leah and Dax told her that they loved her when she was leaving. |
 |
| Miyo, Grandma, Mom and Tomoe |
 |
| Leah showing off some of her crafty origami. |
 |
We are so blessed that Tomoe visited us and also that she brought her daughter,
Miyo along with her. Hopefully next time they visit, they can stay longer. |
 |
We hosted them to an old fashioned burgers and hot dogs American BBQ. For
their last meal with us, we had fried chicken. Very American, no? They then
went to the airport for the next leg of their trip...Southern California; where
Tomoe's relationship with the Trospers and America began. |
 |
After a day at Knott's Berry Farm, Tomoe and Miyo met my brothers and their
families at Claim Jumper to visit for awhile and have some laughs. Here is
Miyo, Jimmy, Tomoe and Scooter. |
 |
| Jim and Scott being "Ahos" and "Bacas". |
 |
Tomoe and Miyo with the rest of my family. Samantha, Lucas, Scott, Jim,
Hailey, Madyson, Grace, Cynthia and Jane. |
 |
The So Cal Trospers gave them American plates and an Apple Pie. Again,
what's more American than apple pie?! |
 |
They did some shopping on their last day and visited some tourist spots in
Hollywood area, then ended their trip a week after it began. It was too
short, but hopefully they have fond memories of America and the Trospers. |
 |
| Tomoe sent us a picture when she got home. |
We love you, Tomoe and Miyo! America loves you! Please come again soon and bring Mikiko with you next time.
1 comment:
W9w! We had fun... I am grateful you did this nice blog. I know Tomoe will love seeing it.
Hopefully we will be able to go to Japan to visit them.
Oh some of our other exchange students were Natsuyo, Yuki, Namiko.
Some of our German visitors were Alex, Thomas, Britta.
Post a Comment