Monday, September 24, 2012

An Apple A Day...

I am excited today to go to the doctor's office.  Why?  I know that is weird to hear.  I typically avoid the doctor like the plague, but I can bear it no more.  I have to go.  I am the most blessed man I know of, however that does not mean I am without trial.  In fact, much of who I am is a result of trial, but that is another blog post for another day.  I have been blessed with a few different health issues; a few of those being auto immune diseases, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis and Psoriasis.  Lucky me!

Fortunately, supposedly, these should all be treated with the same medicines.  Unfortunately, that has  not proven to be the case for me.  I first tried Enbrel.  MIRACLE DRUG!  Seriously, within a couple weeks I was active, running around, hiking, etc.  It almost completely eliminated any pain associated with my Arthritis, but it did nothing for my Psoriasis.  So, about a year and a half ago, I decided I would try Humira.  Humira helped a little on with my Psoriasis, but did nothing for my Arthritis.  After a few months I tried Stelara.  This drug proved to be a miracle drug for my Psoriasis alone, but only for three months, then it was business as usual.  Throughout all this time, my Arthritis has never hurt more. 



I can't explain the pain and achy-ness.  I hate it.  How sad is it that I can't wrestle with The Lou because   my body feels like it is 80+ years old?!  How painful is it?  Painful enough that I now use a shoe horn.  Not a small shoe horn like you may be familiar with, but a super long one so that my knees don't have to bend so much and I don't have to shove my fingers between my shoes and feet.  Pathetic!  I am one painful month away from getting one of those bathtubs for old farts where you can sit down to shower!  The pain is so intense and consistent that I have monthly thoughts of selling my Jeep because it is difficult to get in and out of!  This pain has been with me for about a year and a half now; ever since stopping my Enbrel shots. 


Timing being what it is, about 7 months ago, I took a HUGE pay cut which made it impossible to afford these drugs, at least not without major sacrifice.  This is frustrating for me, but it also makes me worry for all of those seniors, those that mostly require these arthritis drugs, who are living on a fixed income.  Nonetheless, I have reached the point that my Arthritis is becoming disabling and will ultimately affect my income therefore, it is a necessary expense that I can no longer put off.  

So, there you have it.  Way more information than anyone ever asked for and probably more than should have ever been offered.  Nonetheless, you now know why I am absolutely and totally stoked to go to the Doctor's today.  Hopefully, if my blood work comes back fine, I will be poking myself with needles again in no time.  Never thought I would ever hear myself say that!


1 comment:

Jinky said...

Here's to good health to you! --Ponder the words of wisdom ..you might discover something you've missed.